Sunday, September 11, 2011

Nothing is better than a hot dog!

I am a Southern Belle born and bred, so when I think of hot dogs, I think red hots.  They are awesome!  When you boil them, the water turns pink, they are omg good eaten plain, with hot mustard on a bun, or heck loaded with slaw, chili beans, onions and anything else your heart desires.

Imagine my surprise when my DH Matt informs me that these "are NOT" hot dogs.  You see, he is from upstate NY.  Not the bright lights, big city part, but the dairy farming, hay fields, mile upon mile of God's green earth in all it's splendor part.  Thus, he had never eaten such wonders as biscuits and gravy, grits, liver mush sandwiches, and of course red hots.

On our trip to NY to visit family this summer, he introduced me to "the best hot dog on earth"-THE ZWEIGLE pop open.  Imagine my skepticism when I view a huge piece of meat that is more akin to a sausage than a wiener, but, hey, I will try anything once!   I sat eagerly anticipating my hot dog as all the wonderful grill aromas wafted my way as I sat drinking a glass of chocolate wine-another wonderful concoction his family introduced me to which I will discuss another time.

Finally, after what seemed like ages, I was able to take my first bite of the most amazing hot dog I have ever eaten.  It POPPED!  Literally, as I took my first bite, it made a "snapping" sound as my teeth broke through the 100% natural casing.  Needless to say it was love at first bite and I was hooked.  The only problem is/was that these wonderful dogs are not available in my heaven, the South so we purchased enough for a few months and took them home in a cooler to be placed in the freezer at home.

The following week, we drove 45 minutes to the closest Harris Teeter to do our monthly grocery shopping and lo and behold what do I see in the processed meat section of my store?  That's right, folks, Zweigles.  I am now able to purchase these wonderful hot dogs for $4.99 a package right here near my home.  Now, we can debate the lack of health benefits at a later date, but I can tell you as a mother of four kids that hot dogs are definitely a winner on our table any day!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by Pink Dandy chatter...following you via newsletter sub

    Have a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!! Leave me some love with your url and I will return the favor on a random post at your blog!