Friday, October 7, 2011

Finally Friday!!!

This has been a crazy busy week!  It is a short week for the children because they have today off for a Teacher work day, but I think all the teachers tried to cram the work into four days, especially homework!  In addition to this, my husband and I are building a BIG chicken coop.  Not industrial sized big, but to me, it seems huge.

As many of you know, we are big into organic gardening, preserving our own food, and eating off the land.  With four children, it really started off as a way to save money, but has grown into a passion of mine.  So, we are expanding to raising organic, free-range chickens.  I am super excited to provide eggs that I know are chemical, hormone free to my children, and hopefully I will eventually get to sell some eggs as well.

To start off with though, we are getting 8 three month old hens that just started laying and one rooster.  They aren't "easter eggers", but they lay a light pink colored egg, per my husband and the man he works with who raises them.  I can't tell you the wonderful uses for eggs.  As a baker, I can easily go through a dozen in a few days, and of course, the kids love them devilled, scrambled, hard boiled, and pretty much any other way, even though I do try to monitor how many they eat in a week. 

We were supposed to get them last night, but we just aren't quite done with our structure, so we are getting the chickens next weekend!  My children have no idea how blessed they are to have all of this "country" knowledge as people call it.  They will know how to garden so they will always have an abundance and variety of fresh food, know how to raise organic animals, and basically be self-sustaining if the need ever arises!   I will keep you guys posted when we have the structure done and our new "pets" have come home!  In the meantime, I am hoping for a quiet relaxing weekend while DH works 36 hours.

7 comments:

  1. I found you through the Everyday Blog Hop and I'm so glad I did. We are buying a house and one of the things that I want to do is make a chicken coop and get some chickens. We already eat organic eggs but hey, pricey! I cannot wait to read more from your blog! Happy Friday!
    Susan
    http://75percenthippie.blogspot.com
    http://happyhippieheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. How admirable that you guys are doing organic gardening and trying to live off the land. What great lessons for the kids. I saw your comment on another blog and am a new follower.
    Vicky from www.messforless.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Thank you so much for following my blog! I am returning the favor. I hope you have an awesome weekend!

    April
    A Mommy’s Blog Design Studio
    Blog Hops Everyday
    31 Days to Build a Better Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi- im your newest follower from Blog Hops Everyday! I'd love a follow back :)
    http://momoftwo2011.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for following me. Right back at you!!! http://chatonsworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hiya! Thanks for visiting :D Following you back now and looking forward to reading lots more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi thank you for coming over to my blog I do hope you will come back often.
    Now following you as well and very much enjoyed your blog

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!! Leave me some love with your url and I will return the favor on a random post at your blog!