Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Tasty Tuesday!

Yesterday was an extremely chilly day here in NC, in the lower 50's which is really low for this time of the year.  I woke up in the mood for Chili and cornbread because it is just so chilly, all puns intended.  I had the things I needed to make cornbread, but I didn't have the materials to make truly homemade chili.

So I was thinking about Sandra Lee's Semi Homemade show and decided to host a little version here at my house.  I started a stockpile of canned goods and staples a few months back so I decided to pilfer through this and see what we could conjure up!  Ya'll can laugh when you read my made up recipe, but it was a really good pot of chili, the kids and DH gobbled it up and I sent two bowls to work with DH for him and a coworker today for lunch.

One pot Semi homemade Chili with beans (easily feeds 8)

4 cans of pinto beans or whatever beans you have in your stockpile

1 lb of ground beef or turkey

2.5 cups of ketchup (yes, I said ketchup)

6 TBS chili powder

2 tsp cumin

1tsp sea salt

Garlic, minced to taste (I used several teaspoon sizes full)

8 cups of water

Brown the meat in a dutch oven and drain well before adding back to pot.  Drain and wash beans and add them to the pot.  Add remaining ingredients, stir well and simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes to marry the flavors.  Be sure to stir every few minutes and watch the liquids.  If pot looks like it is getting too thick or dry, add a little more liquids.





Homemade skillet cornbread

1 cup of corn meal

1 cup of All purpose Flour

2 tbsp of sugar (my dh likes it sweeter so I added more)

1/2 tsp salt

4 tsp baking powder

4 TBS olive oil + 2 TBS to oil skillet

1 cup of buttermilk


Preheat oven to 450, put oil in skillet, and place in oven to get hot.  Mix together dry ingredients, make a well in the middle and pour in olive oil and milk.  Mix thoroughly and pour into the hot skillet.  NOTE:  The skillet is so hot that the oil will bubble and "fry" when you pour in the batter, this makes the cornbread crust.  Bake for 15-25 minutes until golden brown.  Remove from oven and immediately invert onto a wire rack to cool.













2 comments:

  1. This looks great! I like cornbread and bake it from time to time at my home. I can remember the days when I was young and there was an aunt-in-law who always had cornbread as part of the meal when she had family functions. It always tasted so-o-o good. Take care and have a good Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very tasty and warming for a cooler day. Wonderful to have something easy to make which the family likes.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!! Leave me some love with your url and I will return the favor on a random post at your blog!