Saturday, January 7, 2012

My take on Food & 2012 Goals

Food


How much thought do you put into what is actually in the foods you put in your body?  I am fully guilty and must admit that until less than 2 years ago I put zero thought into it.  A year and a half ago I began once again being a SAHM and we moved out to the country.  Just to save money, we planted a garden and something magical happened the moment I put my fingers in the soil. PEACE happened.  I absolutely love gardening.  In the evenings during the Spring Summer and Fall I love going out and spending an hour or two on my knees in the garden weeding and tending my vegetables.

 I have done a lot of research and decided that our family will be self-sustaining, organic, and eco friendly for the simple health reasons.  I just can't imagine continuing to feed my family food that has ingredients I cannot pronounce:  preservatives, acids, dyes and other things I am unsure what they even are!   I even began raising organic free-range chickens so I know that no hormones or other weird additives are given to the chickens producing the eggs going into my children's bodies.

As a result, we have started processing most of our own food:  vegetables, fruits, pickles, spaghetti sauce, relish, preserves, jellies, etc.  Not only do I know exactly what is going into my jars and my children's bodies, I am SAVING MONEY!  The initial setup cost a bit to buy all the canning jars and pressure canner, but in the long run, it is so cheap.  During the summer, EVERYTHING but the cheese that goes into my spaghetti sauce is fresh out of the garden and already paid for.  If I run out as I did last week, it costs me right around $20 to make 30+ quarts of sauce!  We even preserve our own meat!  We preserve venison in canning jars freezing the steaks only, we grow our own free-range organic chickens which also provide our eggs!



My Goals for 2012


This year, I fully intend to go even further into my organic lifestyle that is a little over a year old.  I intend to plant an even wider variety of fruits and veggies and DH and I intend to start some bee hives near my garden this year.  The wonderful addition of fresh, raw honey, plus all the bees to pollinate my garden are just exciting.  My ultimate goal is to become self-sustaining.  Not sure I am really on the bandwagon of the world ending as much as I love the way I feel now that we are eating more healthy and without all the preservatives! How about you, what are your health/food/lifestyle goals for this year?

While I do understand that not everyone has access to the land/garden/animals that we do, but I would like to challenge you to really think about what goes into the food you are nourishing your bodies with!   Start with the little things.  Cut out those sodas, or switch to honey instead of sugar.  Life in 2012 will be better than any other year has been, and you might save a few dollars as "frosting on the cake!!!"

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that! Plant food not grass! Ya'll have a Blessed year and check out my bulk food storage post.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!! Leave me some love with your url and I will return the favor on a random post at your blog!