Friday, February 24, 2012

Allyson's Quick-er Potato Rolls

Baking


I think the biggest dilemma I always have when it comes to bread making, especially bread for supper is that it never occurs to me that I want bread with supper until about 2 hours before supper.  I know, I know.  I should have a weekly menu, be all organized, and all that jazz, but if you know me personally, that just isn't me.  I am more a "fly by the seat of your pants" artsy kinda girl that remembers the important things when it comes to business.  However, when it comes to cooking, it's all based from the heart or my Dh's (dear husband's) tummy.

I have just the solution for the I-need-dinner-rolls-making-homemade-is-cheaper-and-tastes-better-and-I-forgot -to-make-the-dough-earlier dilemma.  This is my quicker rising Potato Roll recipe.  They are really good, and I must say I made 12 rolls last night, there are six of us, and there was one roll left for my 2 year old's breakfast "bun bun" needs.  Ah, yes, and Mama only ate one roll!!



Allyson's Quick-er Potato Rolls


4 cups of White Lily Flour or bread flour
1/4 cup sugar or honey
1 TBS Instant Yeast (can be bought in bulk at the warehouse stores and is WAY cheaper than packets.  Just store in the freezer)
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup yogurt
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup instant potato flakes
2 eggs

In a large bowl mix together Flour, Sugar, Instant Yeast, and salt.  If you are using a  yeast packet you will need to soak it in 1/2 cup of the hot water for 10 minutes for it to bloom instead of adding it to the dry mixture.

Over medium heat, warm the water, yogurt and butter until it is hot 120-130 degrees.  Remove from heat and stir in the instant potatoes.  Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour the potato mixture in the dry ingredients stirring to mix well.  Next, stir in 1 egg until well mixed.

Turn onto a floured surface and knead the dough for 6-8 minutes until the dough is silky smooth.  Cover and let rest on the floured surface for 20 minutes.  This is a very important step.  After working the gluten in the bread, you must let it rest at least 20 minutes before working with it.

Separate the dough into 12 portions and shape into desired shapes. You can roll the dough into a ball, separate each ball into 3 sections and place into a well greased muffin cup, or as I did last night, roll each ball into a "snake" and then coil it up in a cinnamon bun style.  Place each roll with about 1/4 inch between them on a well greased baking sheet and cover with a cloth.  Fill a large bowl half full of boiling water and place the baking sheet directly on the bowl. Let rise 15-20 minutes.

Mix the egg well in a bowl and brush egg on the top and sides of each roll, then bake in a 375 degree oven for 15-25 minutes or until golden brown.

Note:  If I am not in a hurry and have 4-5 hours before supper, then I would knead the dough and place it in a well greased bowl, cover it with plastic wrap and let it rise for 1 and 1/2  to 2 hours until it doubles in size.  Then I would punch the dough down, shape, place on the greased sheet, cover and let rise until double again before baking.  However, they taste just as good when prepared as I did last night.

26 comments:

  1. Would love to bake but my son has egg allergies so that pretty much takes the thrill out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look amazing! I'm trying to convince myself that I can make them. I'm not exactly known for my baking prowess.

    Do you think this dough would keep in the freezer?

    I'm a new follower from the blog hop. Would love if you'd drop by and consider following back.. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, they look delicious!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Have a great weekend.
    Mette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds yummy! I'm the same way. I always decide I want bread far later than is necessary to make it! I will be sure to try your recipe the next time that happens!!

    Thanks for stopping by The Crazy Side. I'm returning the Follow Love. Have a great day.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds easy and looks abs. delicious.
    Thanks for linking up at mine
    Kajal@ http://purplechronicle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. How pretty! Love to bake too. I've never baked with potato flakes though. I may have to try these out this weekend. :) Always on the lookout for new bread recipes.

    Thanks for visiting my blog. Following you back and looking forward to reading your future blog entries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting my blog today :)

    These look amazing! I'll have to try...

    ReplyDelete
  8. These rolls look so yummy!! I love the swirl design you have going on there. I just have to try these :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this dilemma every week myself! I always want a dinner roll when it's too late to make them. I'll be copying this recipe and trying it out!

    Thanks for stopping by Theresa's Mixed Nuts. Following back :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look delicious! I will be trying this soon! Thanks for following me, and I'm your newest GFC follower as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These sound and look delicious! Following you from the hop!
    http://www.gbedwright.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmmmm these look great! I love making rolls for the holidays, but I'm sure I could think of another good reason to make rolls in February ;)

    Returning the love and following!

    http://eightdaysaweekmom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. so excited for this recipe. I cant wait to make them tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am totally going to try this! I've never been able to make rolls, but this one might even work for me! I'm pinning it on my pinterest board too...thanks for sharing it. :)
    http://freefamilyfunactivities.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/freefamilyfun

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! This is the recipe for me. I like the ingredients. I hope mine turn out looking as nice as yours. You have some great things going on here. I'm a new follower. I look forward to reading more. :)

    You might also enjoy https://botanicalbalance.scentsy.us

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those rolls look really yummy!
    \
    Stopping by from the Friday Hops.
    Have a great weekend.
    POSH

    ReplyDelete
  17. Allyson,
    Yummy! Can't wait to try these! Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier! Looking forward to reading more on yours!

    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum, those look great! Thanks for the follow, following you back. I look forward to your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  19. making bread sort of scares me! it is overwhelming! but maybe i could handle this recipe! or... more likely i will just stare at your photos longingly. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like the way these rolls look, would love to try to make breads myself, the closest I've gotten was my own pizza dough and what a difference it made in taste, was great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look so good. I use to bake homemade rolls a lot but haven't in about 2 years. They are the best right out of the oven. I'd love to try these also so thanks for the recipe
    sandy1955@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  22. I will have to pass this on to my husband as he is the bread maker

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look and sound great! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ahaa, its pleasant dialogue regarding this piece of writing here at this website, I
    have read all that, so now me also commenting at this place.
    Also see my web page: nat sherman cigarettes

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is really attention-grabbing, You are an overly skilled blogger.
    I've joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your fantastic post. Also, I've shared your web site in my social networks
    Feel free to visit my web-site ; how to increase height

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!! Leave me some love with your url and I will return the favor on a random post at your blog!