Friday, February 17, 2012

TastyThursday-Homemade Bread~

A Matter Close to My Heart and a Recipe


Disclaimers to read  before you read my post. 


1.  I am not a doctor, I don't play one on the internet or in my imaginary life that is all pink and pretty.  I do however, play an awesome princess.


2.  I am not encouraging you to not follow your doctor's orders.  They know way me and you should do what you think is right in your situation


3.  Not all diabetes can be controlled by diet alone, so by all means take your meds if you doctor told you to.


I often share things with you my darling readers, but I guess a "flaw" of mine is that if it is painfully personal I keep it to myself.  I was raised in the South with the "we don't air our dirty laundry" mentality.  It's a good one.  It prevents hurtful gossip, "knowing" stares, etc, but it can be a bad thing because there are times my experiences could help another person.


I am going to tell you some (not all) about my wonderful oldest son today.  Last year when I took him in for his 12 year old physical, he tested with high blood sugar (really high for his age) twice as well as high blood pressure.  Honestly, I was scared as a mother.  We had already cut junky snacks and sodas from our diet, but I was letting the kids have candy, goodies and anything else for special treats several times a week.


They wanted him to come back in a month and be retested and told me not to put him on a diet because they wanted a true reading if he had diabetes.  Well, I have always been strong-willed, stubborn, and pretty much done what I want to do instead of what I was told to do.


So, I called my mother-in-law who has diabetes and she talked me through the whole diet Max needed to go on to correct his sugar by the next visit-if it could be controlled by diet.  That was the beginning of true change in our  home.  By the next visit, Max's sugar was just borderline diabetes, way lower than it had been when he was tested the prior two months, and I was ecstatic.  I had successfully kept my child off of medication and made all of our lives better.


Fast forward 6 months later, his sugar is good, and thanks to him getting medication for a different physical issue (NOT blood pressure medication) his blood pressure is excellent now.  The best part is we all feel so much better now, and I won't ever go back to the way we ate before.  Today I am going to share with you a recipe for bread that I devised myself by modifying an old fashioned whole wheat bread recipe.  Note, the recipe called for more white flour than whole wheat, and I simply used all whole wheat which makes a really dense, less fluffy loaf of bread, but really healthy.






Ally's Whole Wheat Oatmeal Bran Bread with Flax Seeds


1 cup of whole milk (I bake with whole milk, but we drink skim)
1/2 Steel Cut Oatmeal-NOT quick oatmeal
1/4 cup hot water
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup olive oil (calls for melted butter, but olive oil is healthier)
2 cups of Stone Ground Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 cup of bran
1/4 cup of flax seeds
1 TBS Instant Yeast (not packets)
1 1/2 tsp salt
cooking spray
egg for egg wash

1.  Heat the milk on low until almost boiling and turn the heat off.  Add in oatmeal and let sit until it cools to hot tap water temperature (110-115 degrees if you want to use a thermometer)  Any hotter will kill the yeast and any colder isn't hot enough for it to activate.

2.  Combine flour, bran, flax, salt and yeast in a bowl.  Make a well in the middle and pour in the oatmeal mixture, hot water, and honey.

3.  Mix well and turn onto a well-floured surface and knead for 8-12 minutes until the texture is smooth and springs back when you press it with a finger.  If you have a Kitchen Aid, you can follow the manufacturer's directions and let the dough hook knead it for you.  NOTE:  Whole grain bread like this is dense and takes longer to knead than white bread.

4.  Put dough in large cooking bowl that has been sprayed with baking spray and spray the top of the bread with the spray putting plastic wrap directly on top of the dough covering it well to prevent drying.

5.  Sit in a warm spot to rise for 1 1/2 to 3 hours or until double.  You can put a pan of boiling water on the low rack of the oven and put the dough bowl on a rack above it to let rise

6.  When it has doubled in size, punch down the dough, roll into a small rectangle, and roll up jelly roll style placing the bread seam side down in a well-sprayed bread pan.  Spray the top of the dough with cooking spray, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until double again (about 3 hours give or take)

7.  When dough has risen, take a knife and score several diagonal marks in the top of the bread,  lightly coat the top with a beaten egg, and sprinkle oatmeal on the top of the bread

8.  Bake on 375 for 30-45 minutes until golden brown

You can see from the picture that it isn't fluffy like white bread and is a lot denser.

Makes a smaller sandwich, excellent toast, or great just as it is (especially hot)!

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I saw your post here on G+ and am following you now via GFC.

    I'm going to print this out and make it soon...

    Also, I'd like to know if I can share it on my healthy eating blog. I can reference your blog.

    Would love for you to follow me there too!

    http://randomtipsonheathyeating.com

    my other blog is
    http://mommieagain.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from the Friday Blog AND Google + Hop! http://queenofsavings.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I'm going to be honest with you I almost left your site as soon as I saw you do reviews,I'm tired of review blogs. Then I saw you garden, I do to, then read your blogs on both pages and decided yep I'm going to follow her. Not that you care but thought I'd tell you. I founf you on clumsy coqette friday blog hop visit my blog and see if you'd like to follow to. http://bridgetsdaughter5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great bread recipe! I'm always looking for new recipes to enjoy at different times.

    Found you through Blog Hop 'til You Drop. Come on over and check my blog out too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!! Leave me some love with your url and I will return the favor on a random post at your blog!