Monday, April 30, 2012

Meatless Monday

Meatless Monday

I finally did it.  Call me one of the in crowd!  I must be a cool kid for sure, and I am totally hooked.  Addicted. I need KCA {kale chips anonymous}.  That's right.  I tried the Kale chips.  I thought I was going to have to get all Kung Fu Madea on the 2 year old because he ate almost the whole plate, but then I resorted to my best kept mommy secret:  I grabbed a few and snuck into the bathroom to eat them!  Now I have resorted to Kindergarten feelings and I am jealous of the 2 year old who ate my kale chips.  

In all seriousness, they are awesome.  They taste nothing like chips, so anyone who told you they do lied.  They don't.  But they are sooooooooooo good.  Like, "I could put on ten lbs eating them even though they are healthy" good.  The first go round I followed a recipe off of Recipe.com that said to paint with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake at 350 for 10 minutes.



That wasn't a great recipe.  These things are sort of like sponges.  The curly leaves just steal the oil and use way too much olive oil.  However, I must say the first batch tasted amazing.  The second batch were my favorite, so I am sharing this recipe (my own cross version).

Two bunches of Kale, stems removed
Olive Oil Cooking spray
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 tsp of granulated garlic

Arrange the Kale on a baking sheet and coat well with the cooking spray.  Sprinkle the salt, pepper and garlic over the Kale and bake at 350 for 15 minutes and it is ready to eat as soon as it is cool enough.  

7 comments:

  1. Having just turned vegetarian I will have to try this - thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband likes them more than I do- I prefer Kale in stirfrys.
    writer61@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have become a big fan of kale and I make smoothies with it!!FB: Toni Marie Caravello
    reannenny at aol.com
    Twitter: Tonic67
    Google: toni caravello or reannenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delicious! Will have to get some kale at the farmers market and try it! Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the "jealous of a two year old" comment. Cute. I'm going to have to take your word for it that the dish was good, lol. I've never had it but I'm not sure i'm ready to try it either.haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love kale..and you're right, they do not taste like chips. Also I find I have to make a ton to actually fill me up because they really are quite thin when dehydrated or cooked. I give the stalks to my dog..he loves them, so nothing goes to waste.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!! Leave me some love with your url and I will return the favor on a random post at your blog!