Thursday, April 5, 2012

Take your Taste buds on Holiday with San-J

San-J

My forte in the kitchen is definitnely baking.  If you want homemade breads, biscuits, cakes, biscotti, scones, you name it, if it comes out of the oven, I can rock it out!  As a matter of fact, I recently won another recipe contest, but I will share that with you in another post!  When it comes to cooking, I  need a little help.  I am not lying when I say I can burn boiling water, so while I love good food, most I make isn't all that good.  What I can do is a good semi-homemade like Sandra Lee.    

My family LOVES Asian food, both Chinese, Japanese and even Pho.  However, we have to drive 35 minutes to the nearest restaurant that doesn't involve arches, so we go maybe 2 times a year at best.  I do cook Chinese at least once a month because I have found it to be something easy to prepare as well as a great way to use up extra chicken or steak.    With all the allergies going around at our house, I was thrilled to find out San-J offers a line of yummy sauces that are gluten-free!

I was blessed to try a line of Gluten-free Asian sauces by San-J.  I received the Orange Sauce, Sweet and Tangy Sauce, and Asian BBQ sauce.

The children love orange chicken so we used the gluten-free Orange Sauce first.  I roasted a chicken in the oven with some Poultry seasoning on it until it was done and falling off the bones.

Photobucket

Then I picked the bird getting off all the meat and discarding the skin and fat and pulled it as if I were making pulled barbecue.  I steamed some white rice and served the pulled chicken over the rice and topped it with the heated orange sauce.  We use more sauce than normal here in the My Wild Crazy Life household because the kids love to eat plain white rice with sauce on it.
Photobucket


This meal was definitely a hit because the kids ate the entire bottle of sauce leaving me just about a TBS of sauce for my own food!  It was enough for me to be able to taste how good this sauce is and to be a bit sad they didn't leave me more.

My husband is funny about ribs and insists he is the one who grills them, so although I had ribs on hand, since he has been working a lot of hours, I decided to try the gluten-free Asian Barbecue sauce on pork steaks instead.  I figured pork is pork and it would taste fine.  Boy was I ever right!  This sauce was amazingly good.  I think over the years we have gotten used to the commercial BBQ sauces touting so many additives like bourbon, brown sugar, honey, or various spices and smokes that we have forgotten what a true BBQ sauce tastes like.  My husband called me from work at midnight to ask me what sauce I put on his chops because it was "slammin!"  Again, the kids cleaned out the pork steaks, but this  time I was prepared and had hidden one for myself!

San J Asian Barbecue Pork Chops

The last sauce, the gluten-free Sweet and Tangy Sauce I decided to Americanize rather than follow the directions on the bottle.  It was so unique that I decided to add it to my meatloaf and roll the dice on what the outcome would be.  I took two pounds of ground beef, 2 organic free-range eggs, and oatmeal (we use this in place of breadcrumbs here to add nutritional value to the meatloaf) and just the Sweet and Tangy Sauce.  Note:  normally I add grated veggies, garlic, onion, and a few spices, but I wanted the sauce to shine in this.  After I formed the meatloaf, I poured the remainder sauce over the top instead of using ketchup.  The meatloaf was really good!  It had a sweet flavor that caramelized the edges of the loaf, but was so juicy in the middle.  Unfortunately, I have no picture of this one because my dear husband found the meatloaf before I could take a picture of it and let's just say by the time I caught he and the kids there wasn't enough left to take a picture!

Photobucket


The bottom line is these sauces were really great, and I love that even people with Celiacs Disease or gluten sensitivity can still enjoy Asian Food.   San-J carries many more items other than the ones I reviewed:  Peanut Sauces, Salad Dressings, Soups, and Crackers.  I can't wait to try the other selections they offer, and can gladly give them to my children without having to worry about any stomach issues from gluten.

You can read more about them on the San-J website  and fan them on Facebook to stay socially connected with them as well.  You can find their products in many of the local markets, and you can see if they are in your area by utilizing their store finder.

Disclaimer:  Many thanks to San-J for the products  I received to facilitate my review.  I was not required to write a positive review.  The opinions expressed in this review are honest and my own.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.  Please do your own due diligence when deciding to purchase!  

32 comments:

  1. Most soy sauces are made with about 50% soybeans and 50% wheat, Tamari soy sauce is made from soybeans with just a touch of wheat or no wheat at all. I would love to taste this difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. most soy sauces are made with about 50% soybeans and 50% wheat, Tamari soy sauce is made from soybeans with just a touch of wheat or no wheat at all. I would love to taste the differance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to try the thai peanut sauce.
    magic5905 at embarqmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. the thai peanut sauce looks good to me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tamari Ginger...oh my it has been so long since I have been able to have any Asian sauces. I love Asian foods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to try their peanut sauce and make the GLUTEN FREE CRUNCHY CHICKEN PEANUT SALAD. Doesn't that just sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Anna F, what time is supper? Sounds good enough I may drop by :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to try this product: http://www.san-j.com/product_info.asp?id=17

    ReplyDelete
  9. want to try the peanut sauce
    snugles4433@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to try all the sauces and the salad dressings :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. San-J Orange Sauce is certified gluten free by the Gluten-Free Certification Organization

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love their Soysauce would love to try some of these other ones.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Found your site when San J posted it on my Facebook page! Interesting. Thanks for giving me a chance to win the trio

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't realize San J had so many gluten free options

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gluten-free is great news to so many of my friends. The recipes posted here look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the gluten free tamari, and like that there is little or no wheat in their products

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to try the teriyaki sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would like to try the gf teryiaki sauce
    ufg8trj@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tamari is my preference for all my Asian cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thai Peanut Sauce
    Szechuan Sauce
    Teriyaki Sauce
    Sweet & Tangy Sauce
    Asian BBQ Sauce
    Orange Sauce

    Would try them all!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thai Peanut Sauce
    Szechuan Sauce
    Teriyaki Sauce
    Sweet & Tangy Sauce
    Asian BBQ Sauce
    Orange Sauce

    I would try them all <3!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thai Peanut Sauce
    Szechuan Sauce
    Teriyaki Sauce
    Sweet & Tangy Sauce
    Asian BBQ Sauce
    Orange Sauce

    I would try them all

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'd love to try the Thai peanut sauce. It sounds really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I bet that I would love the Teriyaki and Asian BBQ Sauces, sound yummy!

    givenmay@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am obsessed with the gluten-free low-sodium tamari i use it probably on a daily basis!

    ReplyDelete
  26. i would like to try the sweet and tangy

    ReplyDelete
  27. Being celiac I have to use these items. I was so happy when I found these new (new to me) delicious flavors that I can to all my foods. Cooking is fun again!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would like to try their peanut sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Tamari Black Sesame Brown Rice Crackers
    vmkids3 at msn dot com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Id love to try the Thai Peanut Sauce!
    ptavernie at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I learned that their sauces are gluten-free!
    klconn7 (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!! Leave me some love with your url and I will return the favor on a random post at your blog!