Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Baking Made Simple with Silpat

Silpat

It's no secret by now that I love to bake. I love kneading dough, rolling out cookies, cutting out biscuits, and trying new recipes.  I have been baking since I was a teen, and I can tell you that nothing is worse than spending hours baking only to find out the bottom of my fabulous concoction burned on the bottom.  Up until the last month, I have always used either cooking spray or I have had to manually oil the pan.  Neither is a huge issue, but all that added oil isn't great for us, and sometimes my things still burn on the bottom.

Silpat is the perfect solution to my baking dilema!  Silpat was created by M Guy Demarle who began tinkering around to find a better baking solution in 1965 when he created the first non-stick baguette trays or filets as they are called in France.  Fast forward some years, and he created Silpat, the original non-stick baking mat.  Silpat products are made in France and in 1993 offices were opened in the US as well.

I remember the very first cooking show on Food Network, and every since the chefs started using Silpat I have been wanting to try one so when I was offered the chance to review one I didn't have to think twice about saying yes!  It was love at first sight for me and Silpat, my new bestie.  One of my favorite features is that you can roll the mat up for storage.  My Silpat rolls up into a homemade telescope and slides right between the wall and the microwave for storage!  This solves my baking cabinet organizational issues which I will save for another conversation entirely.

Photobucket

Secondly, I love the "shiny" feel of the Silpat.  Before I ever used it, I knew it wouldn't stick or burn just from the feel of it.  I don't have a traditional baking sheet at the moment so I use it on a pizza sheet, and it works perfectly!  Silpat is traditionally used for bakery items such as cookies while the Silpain is used for breads, but you can see for yourself from my picture that Silpat will work for bread as well. Note:  I haven't yet tried the Silpain to see the difference, but I plan on doing so in the near future.

Photobucket


 Lastly, cleanup is a cinch.  Silpat is easily wiped clean, can be rinsed off and then air dried, and if you really need to use soap on it, you can use a weak, soap solution.  However, I haven't yet needed to use soap on it since simply rinsing and wiping it dry with a damp cloth is more than sufficient for most things.  

I give Silpat a 10 out of a 10!  It's FDA approved, Kosher certified so that my religious friends can use it also, can last up to 3000 uses if properly taken care of, and only costs $26!  You do the exact math if you like, but even a rough estimate is easy to see that this way saves both the environment and my pocket book!

Go ahead and see what all my Silpat love is about on the Silpat website and Facebook.  If you bake at all, you will likely love how easy these are to use, and of course they are a better option for the environment than a can of spray!

Disclaimer: Many thanks to Silpat  for the products I received to facilitate this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions expressed in this review are honest and my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. Please do your own due diligence when making decisions on purchasing something.

3 comments:

  1. Betsy Barnes
    pinktaz60@hotmail.co

    This would make bakin a lot easier for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ttrockwood@yahoo.comJune 12, 2012 at 11:56 PM

    I cant functikn with out my silpats! I got my mom some too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ttrockwood@yahoo.comJune 12, 2012 at 11:56 PM

    I love silpats! Recently gave as a gift too!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!! Leave me some love with your url and I will return the favor on a random post at your blog!