Thursday, June 7, 2012

Homemade Chicken and Dumplings Recipe with Knorr Homestyle Stock

Great New Product I would like to share


Okay, so it isn't exactly brand new, but it is one of my new staples for Sandra Lee Style cooking.  What is this miracle product?  Well, I'm glad you asked.  It's Knorr Homestyle Stock.  I have never been a huge fan of store bought homestyle stock because it is so expensive for a small container.  And, when I am cooking soup, I need at least 2-3 containers so it just isn't cost effective for a family of 6.  So anytime we de-bone meat, I freeze the bones for a later use when I need stock.  In 20 minutes I can cook up a big pot of stock with just those bones, an onion, a carrot, a stalk of celery and some seasonings.

Photobucket


Knorr Honestyle Stock isn't expensive like the rest in my opinion.  For right over $2 I can get four tiny tubs of this stock which is a congealed stock about the size of a shot glass.  You can add it to anything to add a great depth of flavor.  I have used it in mashed potatoes, homemade gravy, and today, in my homemade chicken and dumplings.  It truly is awesome, and I am going to share with you my personal Chicken and Dumpling recipe.  Be warned it is good, NOT healthy at all.  

Ally's Chicken and Dumplings

For the Chicken:

1 whole Roasting Chicken
2 big Vidalia Onions
1 lb of baby carrots
2 tsp celery seeds (can also use a stalk of celery cut up)
2 TBS Poultry Seasoning 
Salt and Pepper
1/4 cup of flour
1 stick of unsalted butter
2 containers of Knorr Homestyle Stock

Photobucket


1.  Fill a stew pot half full of water and put the whole chicken in to boil on high heat for an hour or until the leg easily pulls off of the bird.

2.  While the pot is heating to a boil add 2 large pealed Vidalia onions, Poultry Seasoning, Salt and Pepper, and Celery Seeds

3.  After 30 minutes of cooking add in the lb of baby carrots (and the celery ribs if you are using fresh celery instead of celery seeds)

4.  Take the chicken out of the pot when it is done, let cool, take the chicken off the bones, pull it as you would pork BBQ.  Stir the two pots of Knorr Homestyle Stock into the Stew pot mixture, and add the chicken back to the pot reducing the heat to medium.  Pot should be at a slow boil/fast simmer.

5.  In a separate small pan melt a stick of butter on medium heat and whisk in 1/4 cup of flour.  Cook on medium heat for about 3 minutes to cook out the flour taste.  Cook until the mixture smells nutty but isn't browned at all

6.  Whisk the flour mixture into the stew pot and continue to whisk frequently until the mixture is at the desired consistency.  Should be thick like gravy when it is done.

Photobucket

For the Biscuits:  

2 cups of self-rising flour (White Lily is the best for any bread products especially biscuits since it is so light)
1 stick of unsalted butter
3/4 cup of whole milk

1.  Using a fork, pastry cutter, or your hands, mix the cold butter into the flour until the butter is about the size of peas and incorporated in the flour

2.  Stir in the milk until it is in a dough ball, but DON'T OVERWORK THE DOUGH OR YOUR BISCUITS WILL BE HEAVY~  This is super important and the trick to light biscuits. I don't even use a spoon.  I use my hand so I can get it in a ball with the least amount of working!

3.  Keep the stew pot mixture at a low boil over medium and drop in peach sized dollops of dough into the gravy which will make soft ball sized dumplings.  If you want smaller dumplings, make smaller dollops.

4.  THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP SO PAY ATTENTION:  Put the lid securely on the pot for 20 minutes and DON'T LIFT THE LID until the timer goes off.  I don't care how much you want to peek because it smells good.  Don't lift the lid or you will end up with rocks or golf balls that are chewy or hard and not light and fluffy dumplings.  When it is done, serve one dumpling on a plate and ladle the chicken gravy mixture over the top!

Thanks Knorr® Homestyle Stock for my free sample of the new great-tasting stock. It truly made my homemade dish even more delicious! Check out celebrity Chef Marco Pierre White in our latest TV commercial. http://bit.ly/A3aN0Q

4 comments:

  1. This sounds fantastic! I am going to bookmark this and cook it for my hubby, for Father's Day. He loves chicken and dumplings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love homemade chicken and dumplings and so does my mom. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us!

    2dogs5catscrew@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been making this up this afternoon only in the crock pot. I'm also using noodles instead of the biscuits. It smells very good in here!

    Tina 'the book lady'

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!! Leave me some love with your url and I will return the favor on a random post at your blog!