Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Meatless Monday: Mango Quinoa Salad

Yesterday, I had to make a trip to my local whole food coop, Weaver Street Market, and while I was there I took advantage of buying from the bulk bins.  As far as healthy food goes, it is almost always cheaper by the ounce or pound to buy in the bulk bins than it is to buy a package of something so I stocked up on Quinoa and several other items.

We do eat meat in our home, and I can't say I don't enjoy it.  However, during the hot months of Sumcmer I am often turned off by the thought of eating a heavy piece of meat.  Recently it has been chicken or fish just way too often, so I was ready for some even lighter, refreshing fare!  I would like to share with you what we had for supper yesterday, and it is definitely going to be a repeat meal this Summer!

Mango Quinoa Salad

2 cups of Quinoa, any variety
2 cups of water
2 cups of low sodium stock
2 ripe mangoes diced
2 green onions, just the green part
1 red bell pepper diced
10 sugar snap peas diced
fresh cilantro 
salt and pepper to taste


Photobucket




















Bring water, stock and rinsed Quinoa to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for about 15-20 minutes until it is cooked and liquid has cooked off.

Toss the veggies and fruit together in a bowl and add cilantro and salt and pepper to taste.  Note:  I was out of cilantro yesterday, and it was still good, but better with the cilantro.

Add the cooked quinoa, toss well, and chill for a couple of hours or overnight.

Serve!

2 comments:

  1. This looks so great! I love Meatless Mondays. We just tend to junk up perfectly nice meals with meat sometimes. Thank you for linking up to the Virtual BBQ, this was a great addition. I pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to try a quinoa recipe. This looks and sounds really good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!! Leave me some love with your url and I will return the favor on a random post at your blog!