Sunday, August 26, 2012

Can I get a Do-Over? Weekend at the ER!


A Mere Scratch caused WHAT???

*** Warning-longer than normal post, but bear with me, I couldn't make this up if I tried***

My 3 year old woke up on the wrong side of the whole world yesterday.  He was a pill and a half, and refused to sleep or nap, opting instead to grace us with his unpleasant new personality-I almost gave it a new name since it was so far different from my normal happy-go-lucky 3 year old.  About the time I instructed the kids to turn in the Wii and to give Crankypants every turn so I don't have to hear him scream anymore, I sat down to try and get in one blog post.  Just one.  A tiny one.  Not too much to ask.  Especially considering it was due, like, yesterday.  Hey, there were two 13 year olds, a 9, and an 8 year old told to stay in the living room with the 3 year old, so I felt comfortable to sit right next to them in the dining room where it's a tad quieter.  Except that my oldest son snuck outside to play with his homemade toy that shoots Nerf balls.  Super fun.  Everyone loves it.  Usually.

His finger got stuck in the knob on it and rather than calling for help, he rips his finger out tearing the skin off. Great.  Super sore boo boo, but not much blood so I told him to wash his finger at the kitchen sink and before I could even hand him the band aid, he falls flat out cold into my compost bin that was full of 12 eggs that floated.  I grab his arm, fall to the floor holding him.  He is twitching all over, eyes rolled back in his head, tongue rolling back, obviously having a seizure as we both are covered arms down in egg yolk and broken shells.    I am yelling at my daughter to find the phone and call 911, but of course, the phone is hiding and not on the base.  Yes, that is Alanis Morisette you hear singing "Ironic" in my head.



He comes to about 5 minutes later, has no idea where he is, is sobbing, scared, disoriented, and wanting a shower.  Hey, OCD doesn't pick when it rears it's head which for him is all the time.  So we laid him on the couch, the girls cleaned up the eggs, and I got the phone and phone book to call the gym where my husband is working out with my minivan.  Remember all the kids?  He left me with a big mud truck.  Fun to go Muddin' won't hold all the kids.  A surf's up dude I am pretty sure was named Fred (go Scooby Doo) answered the phone, and sure thing, he can find -------------- (insert hubby's name) .  But other than putting me on hold, he doesn't find my husband who was riding a bike with his IPOD set to Puddle of Mud.  Let's just call it loud, and that is likely the reason he didn't hear himself paged.  Great.  This is two hours before he's due at work.

So I call my sister who is working an hour and 20 minutes away.  She leaves work immediately to relieve me of the darlings so I can go to the ER.  I did try to call the Doctor's office, got a message to call the Dr on call, but it was missing the phone number.  I finally got a hold of my husband at his job, so he and my sister arrived within minutes of each other.  Relief!  Finally there is help.  So he and I take my darling oldest son to the ER on the busiest night of the week.

He has what??

The doctor in charge thinks it's just a fainting spell which can look like seizures, but since I had seizures when I went through puberty, they want to do testing.  No problem.  I'm down for finding out what's wrong with my kid.  Some blood work and a Cat Scan are in order, and results should be back "quickly"



SIX HOURS LATER....

The doctor comes back in after sitting at the computer outside of our room looking at my son's Cat Scan for over 30 minutes-Never a good sign.

 >>>>>>Quick side story.  My son got an ear infection at his Nana's from being in the pool.  Well his ear hurt, and he got sick with a high fever, throwing up. She took him to the ER who ran a bunch of tests, called it a virus, but never looked in his ear, and sent him home with some nausea pills.  Two weeks later when I bring the kids home, Max is up sobbing in the night, his ear is throbbing and I saw it draining green goo.  Fabulous.  Definite ear infection.  No worries, I took him the day after I got him to the doctor who gave him antibiotics.  A week later, the doctor still couldn't see Max's ear drum, still oozing-now yellow stuff, so he told us to take more meds and come back this coming Tuesday.<<<<<

The Cat Scan shows that my son has  a mass on his ear bone.  The doctor diagnosed it as Mastoiditis, a form of Staph infection that is in his bone behind his ear. It's "rare in developed countries"  per the doctor thanks to antibiotics and is caused by an ear infection going untreated and spreading to the bone.  It's serious.  Hard to treat because antibiotics often won't reach the bone, and I won't go into the treatment it MAY mean.

He has referred him to an ENT to look at his ear and for a second opinion, but either way a mass on my 13 year old's ear bone doesn't calm my spirit in the least.  He also has to go to a neurologist to rule out seizures, but that isn't a huge worry.  If he has seizures, there are good meds to control them.  Bottom line is I am worried, and I don't know whether to pray it IS Mastoiditis, a severe staph infection, or a mass in his bone that could be...well I won't even type it, but I would insist on a biopsy.  So, now you know WHY I named my blog My Wild Crazy Life.  It is wild, it is crazy, but it is MINE, and I wouldn't trade it for the world!


.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I'll be keeping him in prayer for sure! How scary of an ordeal! Hugs to you, I know the waiting game is very nerve racking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, hope everything turns out okay, it's hard waiting for an answer!
    My son that is 17 has several lesions on his brain and were just found this year, it took them since this past March-July to even set up an appointment in Dallas for next Feb...we don't even know if he'll get worse or anything! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so very much ladies. We know how much our children mean to us, and I can truthfully say I would rather be the one with this going on. He doesn't know the seriousness, just that he needs better drugs. He already suffers from anxiety and depression and while his meds are working okay, it doesn't take much to spiral him into despair. It's been real going through puberty with this one. My goal is to keep him safe and alive until he is old. The rest will fall into place :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always something isnt it? I know you must be so worried and I hope they can take care of it quick. I am saying a prayer for you guys and am sending you a huge virtual hug :)
    Stay strong girl :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!! Leave me some love with your url and I will return the favor on a random post at your blog!