Saturday, August 4, 2012

Working out in the Cool with Zumba Wii

I love Zumba!  I fell in love with it over a  year ago when I had a gym membership in town.  It was a hard workout, I am completely uncoordinated so I probably looked hilarious trying to do it, but it was super fun.  While it was a hard physical workout for me, mentally it felt more like fun than traditional workouts feel.

The fun didn't last long. Between driving to football practice daily and sitting there for 3 hours doing homework with my other kids, blogging, keeping house, doctors appointments weekly, cooking, laundry, and a million other mom duties, I quickly found out I don't have 2 hours in a day to go to the gym.  It takes 30 minutes to drive there, 45 minutes to work out, 15+ minutes getting Mika settled in the daycare there and picking him up, 30 minutes back home.  Most days, I don't have an hour to spare much less more.  So, Matt  and I decided not to spend for the family gym membership this year and save $175 for the year.

He goes and works out on the days he works which is 3 days one week and 5 days the next, and it is free for him, so it's all good.  With the extreme Southern heat:  index 100+-108 depending on the day, I haven't had any motivation until this week to go outside and walk.  It's an excuse, I know, but I just wouldn't do it.  I am, past that now, but Mika has little toleration for this heat and walking for 50 minutes with a screaming 3 year old isn't working for me too well, even though we were trudging through.  So, my wonderful husband bought me the Zumba Wii game!

Photobucket

Guess what, I LOVE IT.  I can only complete the beginner level right now, and some of my moves are iffy.  However, I remember what my Zumba teacher at the gym told me.  She said that even if I can't do the moves right, just MOVE.  If I MOVE for the whole class, I am going to lose weight, even if I am not doing it right.  I may or may not ever get the rhythm, but I can have fun, and lose weight doing it!

The workout is a 20 minute dance club music routine that incorporates everything from the Cha Cha, Salsa, Merengue, Hip Hop, and more.  Each dance is 4+ minutes, and it even includes a 4 minute stretch at the end of the 20 minute workout so you don't get cramps!  There are "fireworks" at the top of the screen and they turn colors when you are getting the move right.  Or in my experience, moving in the right direction to the beat!

It incorporates your arms, legs, and has a belt I wear around my waist to hold the Wiimote so that it can keep up with my moves hands free!  At the end of the game it tells me my score which is 445 every day!  I am not sure if this is good or not, but I am covered in sweat and feel so good about completing a workout daily for the first time since I was 19, so I will take it!

I had heard people on tv "dissing" the Zumba Fitness games as not being a true workout, and if you want to lose weight not to try any Wii Fitness games.  My take is this:  that may be true if you are in better shape than I am in, but is certainly NOT my experience.  My heart rate is pounding the whole time, and I go through a 3 cup water bottle during the routine just to keep my heart rate from going too high.  I truly believe this works. The proof, you ask?  It's in the scales.  I have lost 3.4 lbs this week which is probably a combo of water intake and exercise.

This game has 3 levels of difficulty, so I will be using this for quite sometime before I buy Will Zumba 2!  All in all, it was well worth the $30 I spent for it.  Four people can play at a time, so when the kids come home, they can hook up their Wiimotes, and Zumba with me!  I bought mine at Walmart, but you can also purchase them at Amazon and Ebay as well!

Disclaimer:  This is not a sponsored post, and I didn't receive any compensation or product for this review.  I purchased this product, and this review is my personal, honest experience.

6 comments:

  1. I've wanted to try this game so badly! But I'm Leary to guy it as my coordination leaves something to be desired. But I still want to try it! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My girls love Zumba but we do not own a WII

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am right there with you. I work out on my Zumba every day. But I have Kinect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I LOVE Zumba. I have it for the Wii and my girlfriend and I have Zumba parties :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! I have been wanting to try Zumba for the XBOX but have been a little hesitant. However, if you loved the Wii maybe I will give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Zumba and I tried this on the Xbox and I do agree it's quite a workout.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!! Leave me some love with your url and I will return the favor on a random post at your blog!