Monday, September 3, 2012

A Thankful Heart and a Beautiful Smile: Operation Smiles!

If you polled a hundred pregnant women, and asked them what their wishes are for their unborn child, you will hear a wide variety of answers.  However, the one wish that each and every mother will have in common is that their children be born healthy, and I was no different.


I was blessed with four children, each born healthy, and I cannot imagine my child being born with something that causes physical pain, problems eating or swallowing, social issues, and possibly eventually emotional issues.  Yet every day babies around the globe are born with an issue that fits in each of these categories:  Cleft Palate.

Cleft Palate

Cleft Palate is a congenital deformity that is caused during development of the face during pregnancy.  It is a gap where two plates in the skull which are supposed to form the roof of the mouth aren't joined. A Cleft Palate has many problems associated with it including feeding issues, fluid build up in the ear, hearing issues, dental abnormalities, speech issues, and social issues.  The hard palate prevents fluids from entering the nasal cavity, so problems are especially difficult for babies since even simple sucking is difficult without the hard palate being complete.  The physical  and social pain are bad enough, but it is magnified if there is no health insurance to cover repairing the palate, or if there is no money to do so.

Operation Smiles

Operation Smiles is an organization that boasts over 5,000 medical professionals who donate their time and expertise to help out babies around the world born with a Cleft Palate!  For a mere $240 dollars, they can transform a beautiful smile into an even more beautiful smile that is pain free!  I can't think of many greater causes than this, and it warms my heart to know there is an organization of thousands of professionals who dedicate time, effort and resources into this!

Many thanks to  all of the donors who make Operation Smiles possible including Campus Book Rentals!  What are we waiting for?  Head on over to Operation Smiles and find out many different ways you can jump on board and support the cause!

Disclaimer:  This is a sponsored post, and I received compensation for my work.  However, all opinions expressed are truthful, and in no way affected by said compensation.

13 comments:

  1. What a wonderful organization! As a dentist, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Melissa! This is a cause that brings tears to my eyes!

      Delete
  2. My cousin's son was born with a cleft lip, I remember he had several operations to fix it. Now a young adult you can barely tell. This is a great organization.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, it is really more common than I ever realized! Thanks for sharing your "real life" story. This just further proves that this is a great need and such a great cause!

      Delete
  3. Such a great article, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Easy to write a great article when the cause is so great

      Delete
  4. This is such a great program! And Campus Book Rentals is AWESOME! Saves you so much money!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Mama! When I went to college, there either wasn't this program, or I knew nothing about it. I remember literally spending $700 and upwards a semester for books which is a ton when you are working two jobs to pay for college!

      Delete
  5. That sounds like a really great program. It is wonderful that so many people are willing to help babies that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Elle. I was fortunate to have babies that weren't born in pain, but I can only imagine how hard this would be!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, Mama! He's 3 now, and the smile is just as beautiful. Of course, I am not in the least bit biased :P

      Delete
  7. What a pretty smile! Sounds like a great program!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!! Leave me some love with your url and I will return the favor on a random post at your blog!