Sunday, September 23, 2012

Allyson's Corntastic Corn Dog Recipe!

For anyone who thinks that my family is always perfect, always eats organic foods that contains no sugar, no bad fats, and is never junk food-you are right.  Okay, so you're not right.  I am what you might refer to as a bad health food example.  Sure, I try to mostly eat healthy food, and I do feed my family mostly healthy foods.  But at least once every two weeks, we let our hair hand completely hang down!

I think the key to success in eating healthy is to have those fun meals on occasion, especially if you have children.  Not only is it fun, but it makes it much easier to eat healthy most of the time.  For example, I am much more apt to want to eat my spinach if I know I am going to get  a yummy dessert.  Of course, I can't bribe the kids daily, so we meet in the middle and we do our version of what many consider un-healthy meals on occasion.  

Today is one of those days that we are enjoying two fun meals, and I want to share with you my recipe for our lunch meal.


Photobucket
Allyson's Corntastic Corn Dog Recipe

Frying oil (everyone has their own special blend of oil for frying.  I used a Corn/Canola Blend)

2 cups Self Rising Cornmeal
1/2 tsp Sea Salt (you can use more if you prefer saltier, but we watch our salt intake)
  • 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper *optional
  • 1 tsp of onion powder
  • 1 jalapeno pepper diced *optional
  • 1 organic egg
  • 1 can of creamed corn
  • 3/4 cup of Greek-style plain yogurt
  • 3/4 cup of skim milk
  • 1/4 cup of corn starch for dredging hot dogs
  • 8 hot dogs
  • 4 skewers cut in half
1.  Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
2.  Mix together the corn, yogurt, milk egg and jalapeno pepper.
3.  Fill a large drinking glass with batter for dipping the hot dogs.  
4.  Combine wet and dry ingredients.  Insert skewers in hot dogs, dredge in corn starch, and coat completely with batter, shaking off any excess.
5.  Fry in hot oil at 375 degrees until they are golden brown.
6.  Cool and serve with condiments of choice!


20 comments:

  1. I am pinning this-love corndogs! thanks so much for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like them Brutus! My husband did, and the kids ate WAY too many! But, we don't eat this kind of stuff often anymore so I figured I might as well let them enjoy them to the fullest!

      Delete
  2. Oh that looks fattening...but delicious!! Pinned it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, you are SO right! I don't even eat hot dogs period. I have issues with the ingredients even in the Kosher ones, but the kids begged and begged! My husband said they were good though, so they must be since he doesn't like most of my food!

      Delete
  3. YUM YUM YUM.. big lover of corndogs here.. funny I am a chef and we were just talking about these at work the other day.

    Thanks for posting my button and sharing I really appreciate it..

    Still hungry lol.

    GREAT post.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kevin, you are welcome for the recipe...I think it is so simple, and so good. If *I* were eating which I didn't :/ I would definitely add the spice. I love the button. I think we should all band together as bloggers to promote our worth!

      Delete
  4. wow I have never attempted corn dogs before. Woudl be fun to make minis for a party
    thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids thought the same thing. Next time we may use cocktail wieners and try it that way! As you can see by our shapes, I had a lot of help, but we had a blast cooking them!

      Delete
  5. I never tried corn dogs either but this looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even my 3 year old helped. His job was to roll them in the corn starch and he was so excited to eat his own. I bet he would have eaten stuff he normally won't if it was his own work!

      Delete
  6. Looks even better than what they serve at the fair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the proof is in the 3 year old who is picky depending on the moment. He ate two whole corn dogs! I was looking to make sure he wasn't feeding the dog!

      Delete
  7. i'm not a fan of cornmeal (or fried foods really) but these look good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, then it probably isn't going to be your go to recipe :D However, it's not a bad one to keep in your back pocket for if you ever have a kids party or something. They really really loved how fun it was to make their own!

      Delete
  8. I've never tried making my own corndogs before. I definitely prefer batter that doesn't taste too much like pancakes and yours doesn't sound so sweet so I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked how much actual cornmeal was in it as opposed to just pancake mix like you said, they were really good per the kids

      Delete
  9. I love corn dogs! I have never made them homemade before. Thank you for posting this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Now you see how easy they are to make!

      Delete

I love comments!!! Leave me some love with your url and I will return the favor on a random post at your blog!