Saturday, September 22, 2012

Easy Homemade Tortilla Wraps!


My family loves tortilla wraps.  We use them for everything:  quick breakfast burritos, chicken wraps, hamburger wraps, tacos, bean burritos, or even as a healthier chip to hold our salsa.  We use them often in place of bread, but they are so costly to purchase.  I get 8 in a package for $2.50-$3.99 a package depending on if I find them on sale or not.  It doesn't take a rocket science degree to figure out for a family of six, this can add up to a lot of money quickly.

Photobucket

Never fear, I have the perfect solution for you that even the most unskilled cook should be able to make!  Yes, I was referring to myself.  If *I* can make these, anyone should be able to!  I use a round tortilla griddle like the one by Comal seen below.  She isn't beautiful anymore, and you can see where the heat is centered on the griddle, but she works like a daisy!  You can also use a regular cast iron skillet, and although I haven't tried using other types of pans, you may find success in whatever frying pan you have.

Photobucket

Allyson's Homemade Flour Tortillas

*Note, if you are wanting to make a healthier tortilla that is better for diabetes or if you are on a diet, simply substitute the flour with 100% whole wheat flour

2 Cups Flour
1 Tsp Baking Powder
3/4 Tsp Salt
3 TBS Shortening (or Coconut Oil)
1/2 cup of warm water

Photobucket

Mix together flour, baking powder, and salt.  With a fork or pastry blender cut the shortening into the flour mixture until it is crumbly.   Add water and knead into a ball  kneading about 30 times.  Place in a bowl sprayed with cooking spray, cover and let sit for at least 15 minutes to allow the dough to rest.  This is an important step, and the dough will be very elastic and not roll out if you don't allow rest time.

Divide the dough into 12 equal balls and roll out on a floured surface until they are thin and about 8 inches diameter.

Heat a cast iron skillet or griddle to medium heat, and cook the tortilla about 45 seconds per side.   Keep covered with a moist hot towel while you continue making the rest of the Tortillas.

10 comments:

  1. My family also enjoys tortillas and I never thought to make my own. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do a lot of baking, and out of desperation and lack of tortillas one night, I made these. Most recipes called for up to 1/2 cup of oil, but I wanted a less fattening version and stopped at 3 TBSP which was perfect. IT saves so much money and really isn't all that time consuming. The kids LOVE rolling them out, but of course round isn't always the shape if I have help :D

      Delete
  2. impressive that you would make these yourself. Look great. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Anyone can make them, so easy I swear! Today, I am making homemade whole wheat hamburger rolls! I can't cook well, but I love to bake.

      Delete
  3. These look and sound so delicious! My husband and I love mexican and this sounds like a nice, easy meal to add to our rotation! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is super easy, and fun-especially for kids to roll out!

      Delete
  4. That looks awesome! My family loves salsa and tacos and I have never tried to make it before, I never even thought to! I pinned the recipe and will definitely be trying it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the Pinterest love! We love making homemade wraps, and I cook them a little longer for a semi crunchy "chip." Way healthier than fried chips!

      Delete
  5. Ok...so we love tortillas too, but they are so expensive and high in calories. I have toyed with the idea of making some, but honestly, I was kind of scared. So maybe after reading your post I will try?

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can make them with whole wheat flour. I do this sometimes, although the taste is way healthier. Either way, I feel like I am eating something truly naughty :D

      Delete

I love comments!!! Leave me some love with your url and I will return the favor on a random post at your blog!