Thursday, September 13, 2012

Nutrisystem Week 5 & 15 lbs down! #NSNation

Well, it is week 5 with Nutrisystem, and I am trucking along at a steady pace.  Today I want to talk share my 3 Keys to Weight Loss Success with you.  I know you may be thinking that it's a bit premature since I have a long way to go to reach my target weight.  However, 5 weeks into this diet I have discovered what works.  I also have discovered that weight loss plateaus will happen, but if I continue  doing what I know works, I will succeed!

My 3 Keys to Weight Loss Success

1.  Drink Water.  What, you were expecting something more earth shattering? Well, turns out your Mama was right all along. Water IS important for you.  Dr. Dukan explains it like washing dishes.  What good does it do to scrub your dishes to get them clean if you don't rinse them when you are done?  All that nasty food is still on there, now combined with soap, but it has no way to leave because you don't rinse them.  The idea is that a person can diet all they want, but if they don't drink enough water, they won't lose weight.  All. that yucky stuff stays inside instead of flushing out.  Made you look at drinking water in a whole new light, didn't I?  Side benefit is that I stay too full-literally to want to eat in between my 6 mini meals


Photobucket

2.  Portion Control.  That's right, size DOES matter!  Did you know that even healthy food has calories.  No, I am not being sarcastic, and I do realize you knew this already.  But do you live this?  I didn't.  I would think, what difference does it make if I measure out my skim milk?  It's SKIM!  Yes, and skim milk has 80 calories per 8 oz cup so if I am "eye-balling" the amount and go over just 1/4 cup, I have an extra 20 calories.  Four small crackers extra is worth 50 calories!  It all adds up quickly, and it doesn't take long to sabotage all of your hard work!  So go to the local dollar market and invest in a set of measuring cups, measuring spoons, and count out those crackers!

3. Exercise  This is the hardest thing for me, but it really does make all the difference in the world.  On the weeks that I get a 30-40 minute exercise in at least 4 times, I can see the difference on the scales on weigh in day.  If I don't exercise, I may lose a pound, but usually it's a little less than a pound.  Sure it is still success, but 2 lbs looks better than .5 pounds any day in my book.  The plus is that I get great energy out of exercising!  The great thing  with Nutrisystem is that they have options for every lifestyle.  I have 30 minutes a day to walk or Zumba.  However, they offer a Daily 3 solution for people who are on a true time constraint. You can do 3 ten minute bursts of exercise at various times of the day.  The benefit of this is that you are revving your energy and keeping it going strong all day!

So tell me, what strategies work for you to either lose weight or keep it off?  I am still learning, and I can use all the suggestions I can get!

Photobucket


I have lost another 1.8 lbs so I am done from 280 to 265.2!  I am thrilled with both the scales and the measuring tape this week!

My Beginning Measurements:  

Upper Arms: 15.0
Chest: 49.8
Waist: 54.0
Hips: 59.0
Thighs: 23.6


Current Measurements

Date: 09/12/2012 07:30
Upper Arms: 14.3
Chest: 46.5
Waist: 50.8
Hips: 56.5
Thighs: 20.8

Want to lose weight and get healthy on Nutrisystem? Join today by calling 1-888-853-4689 or by visiting Nutrisystem

*Nutrisystem is providing me with 4 months of free food and support service as part of the Nutrisystem Nation Blogger program. In exchange, I will be posting each week with my progress. All thoughts expressed are my own, and my experience using the system may vary from that of other participants.*  

32 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! :) You are doing great on your weight loss journey!! I too have been struggling with the exercise, I have been walking daily but I really want to step it up a bit. I know this is one of the biggest keys to success. Join your site so I will be following your journey as I take my own. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda for the comments! I think weight loss of any kind is hard. At leas I am never hungry on Nutrisystem which is almost unheard of with dieting! I need to get back into Zumba this evening . I have been so tired, but I have been walking. Not the same as Zumba for sure

      Delete
  2. Wow Allyson that is fantastic..aside from using Nutrisystem you are doing such a great job at staying positive and focused!! Yay Congrats for you weight loss!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shari! I tried doing it myself with the Whole Food route, but I think I really needed the portion control, and other things I am learning from NS. The great thing is I can translate this in a few months to real life living/food! I have been blessed for sure!

      Delete
  3. That is awesome, Allyson! My biggest obstacle is food. I like all the bad things & I hate cooking at all! I need to win the lottery so I can pay a chef to only cook healthy things for my family :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I am with you Tara. We actually believe in whole foods, and I have cooked semi healthy for a year, but I just couldn't do it alone. I am so glad I am doing this because while I AM losing weight, a big plus, more importantly I am learning things that will aid me when I am on my own again (no Nutrisystem)

      Delete
  4. That is amazing! I need to try Nutrisystem. You are my new role model!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's very sweet Melissa! You can lose with me. A huge step in the right direction is drinking water, eating 6 small meals, and getting in exercise. Even if only 10 minutes at a spurt.

      However, If you really decide to Nutrisystem, email me at allyson dot bossie at gmail dot com and I will email you some Nutri bucks. I think we both get credit for other items for referrals

      Delete
  5. You are doing an amazing job! I could really use this as well : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minus the last two days, Francine, My biggest plus has been the energy gain. I have a TON more to lose, but it is amazing how just 15 lbs makes it easier to take a walk. I don't get tired as fast, and I really enjoy it now. I've been tired the last two days, but for different reasons

      Delete
  6. Congratulations - every pound is such a great deal. I have been going in a wrong direction. Time to get back on track!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been solid at the wrong numbers for too long. I lost a lot, but then never lost the rest, so now I am doing that. No more excuses!

      Delete
  7. Great job,I know it is amazing when we can see that scale moving in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree wholeheartedly! Just proof that I am moving in the right direction gives me enough motive for the following week!

      Delete
  8. Congrats! Keep up the great work! I have to agree on your main points! water, portion control and exercise. if you get all of those in you are bound to lose weight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amber, those are the three things that work consistently for me for sure. The water is much easier after you get used to it!

      Delete
  9. Portion control matters - keep going ...you can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. I have been measuring for five weeks. Now it's just a second habit!

      Delete
  10. Wow, looks like you're doing great! Keep it up, I believe water, food portioning and exercise are key :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Water alone helped me lose 3.5 lbs when I wasn't even dieting yet. I never knew how truly important it was until I read Dukan's wordage on it. Then it really hit me

      Delete
  11. You are doing so good! Keep it up - You have lots of people rooting for you :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! Every cheer is encouraging! I have support at home, but it's great to read compliments too!

      Delete
  12. Your strategies are pretty much the ones I'm using...I haven't gotten into the exercise bit as much yet though. I'm going into that slowly as I haven't done a lot of it in a while.

    You are doing really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elle! You can do the exercise too. When I started I was literally only doing 1o minutes a day. Then I was doing 20. Now I exercise on the nights I can, but I do at least 3o minutes. It's my ONLY time alone, without kids, so maybe sanity is my motivation!

      Delete
  13. Congrats on your progress so far, and best of luck in the weeks to come.

    I really need to work on drinking more water!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on your progress! I think you definitely have the 3 most important things in weight loss/healthier living going.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Way to go!!

    I excerisem drink water, but need to watch what I eat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Anne! I think what you eat is important of course, but I think the 6 small meals would work regardless. It's easy to spread my meals out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like your doing great..Keep up the good work Allyson.
    I agree with the water thing I splurged a few weeks back when grocery shopping and I saw they had a water cooler that holds 4 or 5 gallon jugs. I buy a jug every week and it so convenient when I am thirsty I just go fill up a glass.I find juices tastes really sweet now that I have been drinking water so much so I always water them down half water and half juice..That saves some calories :)I love coke and use to drink it all the time..I dont think I have had a soda in 4 weeks now and I feel so much better.Still walking on the treadmill and am up to 5 miles a day..wooohooo lol
    I am glad your doing good and you should be proud of yourself girl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy. I know that water jug system is convenient! I keep bottles of lemon or lime and crystal light in the house so that if I am having a hard time wanting water I flavor it a bit. This way, I always get it in!

      Delete
  18. You are doing well so far, and your advice is rock solid from what I can see. I'm a calorie counter because that's the only thing that ever works for me, but I do need to follow your advice on drinking water. I'm a sucker for a diet soda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on the Calorie Counting. Nutrisystem is all pre made food, portioned and calories are already counted. When I am off this, I will still have to count my calories. MyFitnesspal.com keeps up with it all, including how much you have to eat to lose, maintain, etc

      Delete

I love comments!!! Leave me some love with your url and I will return the favor on a random post at your blog!