Saturday, September 22, 2012

Why I Garden: Veggie Love!

I don't talk about it as often as I should, but we absolutely love gardening here at the My Wild Crazy Life Home.   So, I wanted to share the benefits of growing your own garden with you!  Hey, even if you live in the city, you can still grow a few things.  You can grow a single tomato plant in a 5 gallon bucket on your deck.  How about some windowsill herbs?  I have even seen an episode on TV about planting potatoes in a huge outdoor trashcan!  The possibilities are endless as long as you use your imagination!

1.  If children plan their "own" vegetables and fruits, tend to them the whole season, they are way more likely to eat them.  If you don't believe me, try it on for size!

2.  Cost.  Example:  This year I spent $.99 on a packet of cucumber seeds and planted maybe 1/4 of the packet.  I yielded no less than 150 cucumbers which at $1.82/pound for an organic cucumber, I got a little over $225 worth of cukes out of a dollar spent! That doesn't include all the other veggies I grew this year.  Enough said.

Photobucket
Butternut Squash, three varieties of Eggplant, Purple Bell Peppers, Red Bell Peppers, a Heart-Shaped potato, and Tri-color Habanero Peppers fresh from my own garden this year!

3.  I can control what I eat in two ways.  I don't put any pesticides, chemicals or anything else on my garden.  I am an avid composter, so I feed my soil with rich organic home-grown compost.  If I have a bug problem, I use a hot pepper water spray on the plants.  Also, again, if you are growing your own vegetables and putting hard work into them, you are more apt to eat a healthier diet rich in vegetables.

4.  I have vegetables all year round-even out of season.  How?  I preserve a good portion of what I grow.  Eggplant gets sliced, dipped in lemon juice and frozen.  Potatoes get stored in a cool dark place.  Cucumbers become Dill Pickles, Bread and Butter Pickles, Sweet Pickles, and Pickle Relish.  Tomatoes become many things:  salsa, tomato paste, tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce, ketchup, etc.  Even the wild berries that grow on my property don't escape my fingers.  We preserve or freeze what we don't eat!

5.  The sheer enjoyment of getting my hands in the lush soil!  I have quite  a busy, chaotic life with 4 kids, a husband, umpteen chickens and a dog.  I go days without any sort of quiet time.  However, when I am in the garden weeding, digging, or tending to my vegetables, it is so quiet and peaceful!  Plus, sunshine is great for the brain and that "Feel good" mood, so it's a win:win:  

2 comments:

  1. I love gardening. This year some of our crops didn't do so well. We were attacked with Squash bugs that killed our Zucchini, cucumbers and yellow squash plants. My pumpkins flowered but never turned into a pumpkin. Stinks that you have to wait another year before giving it a shot again (I live in the Northeast).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I live in the Southeast and I lost all of my tomato plants. I planted 39 and only about 4 plants yielded a handful of tomatoes the size of cherry tomatoes. It was so sad. All of my pepper plants but 3 sweet and 2 hot died too. My corn died, but I did get watermelons. Of course, with space, we only yielded maybe 6 watermelon. My cucumbers, onions and eggplants were all bumper crops lol. Odd how that works

      Delete

I love comments!!! Leave me some love with your url and I will return the favor on a random post at your blog!