Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Fun food from the last week-Spider Cupcakes and Witches Brooms

My three year old Mika is just really enjoying Halloween this year.  Every time we run to a store, we have to spend a half hour browsing the costumes, scarecrows, and checking out all the decorations!  So, I would be remiss if I didn't cherish these moments further by having fun food and crafts the kids can help with to make it even more special this year.

I have two "recipes" to share with you this week, and honestly, ANYONE can make them.  The one recipe is out of a family recipe and is homemade, but you can easily substitute store bought if you don't bake, or simply don't have the time.  You can trust that kids don't really discriminate when it comes to desserts!

Spider Cupcakes
1 batch of Chocolate Mayonnaise Cupcakes *recipe below
1 double batch of Cream Cheese icing *recipe below
18 Oreo Cookies
6 Twizzlers pull and peel licorice sticks

Fill a gallon zipper bag with icing, and squeeze all the icing down in one corner.  Snip off the corner about 1/4 inch.  Ice the cupcakes icecream style swirling the icing 2-3 times to be pretty.

Snip each licorice stick into 3 equal pieces and peel the strands apart.  Lay 8 pieces of licorice on each cupcake in the form of spider legs.

Top each with an Oreo cookie which is the spider.  You can pipe on eyeballs if you wish!


Photobucket

Grandma's Chocolate Mayonnaise Cupcakes

The mayonnaise is simply replacing the oil and eggs in a normal recipe!

3 cups of self rising flour
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups whole milk
2 tsp vanilla

Sift together the Flour, sugar and the cocoa powder to get out any lumps.  Stir in the Mayo.   Gradually stir in the whole milk and vanilla until the mixture is smooth.  Either spray your muffin tins or use paper inserts (I spray) and  fill with a 1/4 cup measuring cup.  This is the perfect size to fill a regular muffin tin.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.


Photobucket



Cream Cheese Icing

2 sticks of butter, at room temp
2 packages of cream cheese (16 oz) at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla
4-6 cups of powdered sugar

With your mixer, mix the cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes.  Add in vanilla and mix well.  Then gradually add the powdered sugar in until you like the thickness of the icing.  Weather and humidity affect things like candy and icing, so you may need more or less each time you make it.


Witches Brooms
Photobucket



This is just a quick and easy snack item that the kids loved assembling and eating!

I took thin pretzel sticks and cheese sticks to make these.

Cut each cheese stick into four equal parts

Fray the ends like a broom, and insert pretzel stick into the opposite end like a broomstick.

Fly away or eat!


Photobucket

32 comments:

  1. Cute! These look like perfect Halloween treats. I've never though to use mayonaise in a cupcake either. Very interesting. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, and thanks for stopping in. I think it might be a throwback recipe from the Depression, since certain items were scarce then, but I honestly don't know. She passed in 2006 so I can't ask!

      Delete
  2. These are super cute ideas! I love decorating food for the holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids made these, and I don't care if they are imperfect, they had a blast!

      Delete
  3. We made similar spider cupcakes the other day! I love the broom idea too. I'll definitely have to make some this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They loved it! I took the eyeballs out of the equation so that my son doesn't choke, but candies are super cute eyes!

      Delete
  4. Those are so fun! Thanks for sharing the ideas.

    http://www.atticgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "You are welcome, thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I love these! Very cute and Pinterest worthy for sure :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, Thanks. They are pinned on my halloween board www.pinterest.com/myw1ldcrazylife

      Delete
  6. I LOVE them!!!!! And since the recipe is a family recipe, it makes it even better!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being able to share something of my grandparents with my kids since they never got to know them

      Delete
  7. I need to try these..the witches brooms look so easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, and it takes a normally boring snack and makes it fun!

      Delete
  8. Super original and awesome ideas! It is really creative and the best part, easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am all into easy. The cupcakes can just as easily be made with either store bought cupcakes jazzed up or a box!

      Delete
  9. OMG! These are SO cute!!! And yummy looking! Totally pinning!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a good girl and didn't eat any of the cupcakes but I seem to recall they are awesome, and let's just say they managed to scarf down 12 in two days. It was a really hard day though, so I let the kids have this fun to not focus on the bad

      Delete
  10. Looks so yummy, perfect for the Halloween and seems so easy to make..thank you for the recipe!

    Icar
    mycharmedmom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I love easy food that the kids can make themselves too! I find they tend to eat so much better if they were involved with making it!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. I promise when it comes to decorating if I can do it, anyone can. I can bake my tushie off, but all of my artistic abilities are in music!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks, and thanks for dropping by, Melissa

      Delete
  13. Yum! I'm going to try to make the cupcakes this coming week I'll let you know how it goes ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooo, I love that! Show me pictures when you are done if you can. I am so un-artistic, and I love seeing how others can really jazz up my simple efforts!

      Delete
  14. Those are so cute! I can never get my icing to turn out though. I am a baking FAILURE!! :)
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so buy a tub, girl! Actually, I would buy at least three if you are going to swirl it. However, if you have issues with swirling, just ice them as usual, maybe laying it on thick, then put down the cookie. I promise, once they see the "spider" they don't care about anything else but eating it :)

      Delete
  15. What cute treats! I love the spider mostly because I adore Oreos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had eaten some. Or could have. I love Oreos so much that I only buy them about once a year. They are just too tempting!

      Delete
  16. these look yummy! just found your blog. I have a giveaway for some Maguba clogs at the moment you might be interested in? :) x
    http://www.tigerlillyquinn.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I'll try to check out your clogs.

      Delete

I love comments!!! Leave me some love with your url and I will return the favor on a random post at your blog!