Monday, October 8, 2012

Meatless Monday: #Sugar-Free #Peaches & Cream Refrigerator Oatmeal

A while back I discovered a great new way to get the kids to enjoy an old-fashioned healthy staple:  refrigerator oatmeal.  They are perfect for a quick breakfast before bundling everyone out the door for a busy day.  I also like to use them for a quick, easy, yet hearty supper on days that I am just slammed to wall busy running errands and keeping appointments.

All the recipes I was able to find online contained either sugar or honey, and we have to really limit our sugar and carb intake here to keep my son's sugar in check.  So, I did what any supermom would do-I created my own recipes, and today I am going to share one of my favorites

Photobucket
Sugar-Free Peaches and Cream Refrigerator Oatmeal

1/4 cup of steel cut oatmeal (do NOT use quick oatmeal)
2 tsp Agave Nectar
2 Tablespoons of chopped dried peaches
1/4 cup of Greek Yogurt
1/3 cup of skim milk

Add the oatmeal, agave nectar, yogurt and skim milk to a half pint or pint canning jar.  Cover it with the lid, and shake well to mix the ingredients.  Stir in the chopped peaches and refrigerate overnight.  This will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours.


Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. I use agava nector in my oatmeal all the time and I absolutely LOVE it! I switched to it from brown sugar and my entire family actually loves the agava nector flavor in our oatmeal a LOT more than the old sugar way. And you are definitely right on the money, it has to be the old fashioned kind of oats, these silly "instant" oats don't taste half as good and aren't as good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Agave better than any alternative sweetener. It is very sweet, but I find it is even pleasant to use 1 tsp of it on pancakes in lieu of syrup. Maybe I'm weird but we love it!

      Delete
  2. This sounds so yummy! I wish I had some dry peaches on hand to make it! Thanks for the recipe =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, you could probably use fresh or even canned peaches too! It has such a better peach flavor that those packets and WAY more healthy stuff when you consider the yogurt and steel cut oats!

      Delete
  3. Sounds great, though I am not sure where to get Agave Nectar. Would I find it in the regular grocery store, or should I check out my natural foods store? I know I probably have to go there for the oatmeal.
    One other question, how do you warm it up?
    I will have to pin this so I remember to try it.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can buy it at Walmart with the sugar (it's in a bottle, usually called Blue Agave Nectar or something(

      Delete
  4. I have never tried Agave Nectar before but im pretty sure I heard it mentioned on Dr Oz. and/or The Doctors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh this looks so yummy! I am not a big fan of plain oatmeal but when it's dressed up like this I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And your pictures are gorgeous by the way! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never thought to use aguava nectar in anything! I always wondered what ppl used it for! :)
    Thanks for the info! It looks yummy!
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so yummy!! I want to eat it!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Go Meatless Monday! :D thanks for the yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!! Leave me some love with your url and I will return the favor on a random post at your blog!