Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Tasty Tuesday Pt 2:Sugar Free Whole Wheat Oatmeal Scary Ghost Pancakes!

We are in super excited Halloween mode here at the My Wild Crazy Life home so we have been coming up with some fun themes for supper for this month.  The kids love helping out in the kitchen, and honestly, I have a lot of fun too.  Since yesterday was Meatless Monday, we decided that breakfast for supper in the form of pancakes was in order, and we kicked it up a notch making ghost shaped pancakes.  However, as always, you know I try to make the healthiest version of fun foods that I can so I want to share with you the recipe we use here for Pancakes.


Photobucket
Allyson's Sugar Free Whole Wheat Oatmeal Pancakes

3/4 cup of whole wheat flour
3 cups of Old Fashioned or Steel Cut oatmeal pulsed into oatmeal flour
3 cups of Greek Yogurt
6 free-range eggs
6 tbs coconut oil
1 1/2 tbs Agave Nectar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup of chocolate chips

In a food processor, pulse the oatmeal until it is ground to a flour consistency.  Whisk all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.  In a separate bowl beat the eggs, and add in the agave, and yogurt mixing well.  Add the wet ingredients and melted coconut oil to the dry stirring until mixed, but the batter should be a little lumpy.

Heat griddle to 350 and pour the batter into a squeeze bottle-I used a squeeze water bottle which worked just fine.  When the griddle is preheated, squeeze out ghost shapes on the griddle and insert 3 chocolate chips for the eyes and mouth.  Wait until the bubbles have formed and popped, flip the pancake, and cook until golden brown!  Serve as is, with butter, with syrup, or with fresh berries and whipped topping!
Photobucket


12 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, ghost pancackes are the cutest thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a similar idea on pinerest, but of course it was a good old fashioned super tasty recipe! My 13 year old has to watch his sugar or take shots, so I have to modify most everything he eats, yet try to make it "normal" The bonus is the hubby has lost 10 lbs in a month doing nothing but eating my food :D

      Delete
  2. I would've never thought of this! Great idea and thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Melissa and it is super easy. In hindsight, I think blueberries would almost be better eyes and nose, and definitely healthier!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! The kids will love them, and pumpkins would be just as easy and they could decorate the eyes and nose with pineapple tidbits or even candy corn (heaven forbid the sugar high after)

      Delete
  4. We are using a lot of yogurt in recipes at our house too. Your ghost is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use yogurt for many many things. It is interchangeable almost exactly with buttermilk, and I NEVER have buttermilk on hand. Plus I love how high in protein it is since I am eating a lot with my Nutrisystem diet.

      Delete
  5. What a great idea. Those are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the kids absolutely loved them, and I didn't feel bad at all letting them eat them because even chocolate is good for you in moderation

      Delete
  6. too cute love for you to share these on this weeks friday food frenzy. will be live at midnight!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Checking it out now, Mama! My kids had a super fun blast with this one. Also, next week I have another Ghostly offering, but I want to save that post for next week :D

      Delete

I love comments!!! Leave me some love with your url and I will return the favor on a random post at your blog!