Monday, October 29, 2012

Warm up your Monday with My Homemade Clam Chowder Recipe!

Brrrr!  It has turned frigid here over night!  All of the sudden, it's not only cold, but it is very windy which  makes it feel colder, but is a perfect pampering day.  I  am sitting around the house with my  Nature's Sleep slippers on which are super warm and the softest I have ever owned!  I am drinking one of my favorite splurges: a steaming hot cup of Oregeon Chai, and I am exfoliating my face with my current go to exfoliator:  with Andalou Naturals Grapefruit  +C Exfoliating Peel.  It  seems when the weather turns cold, I have to put a lot of extra work into looking radiant, so why not start today?

Fortunately for me I don't have to cook supper today because I cooked a stock pot of my homemade Clam Chowder yesterday!  I thought I would spread the love so you too can be warm on this frigid day!

Allyson's Clam Chowder

4 cups of skim milk
1 quart of heavy whipping cream
6 potatoes washed and diced
1 large onion, diced
4 slices of diced bacon
2 tbsp parsley
S&P to taste
Butter (optional)
1 Quart of Chopped clams in juice
Photobucket
1.  Render the Diced Bacon in a stock pan on medium heat until crispy, remove from pan

2.  Leave the grease in the pan and caramelize the onion in the same pan you rendered the bacon

3.   When onions are a golden brown,  add in the potatoes and 4 cups of skim milk

4.  Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently, then reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes are fork-tender

5  Add in the Heavy Whipping Cream and the Clams, juice and all and simmer until heated through

6.  Toss in the Parsley and heat for about a minute more

7.  Serve with a pat of butter in the middle and extra parsley for garnish if desired

25 comments:

  1. HA! That is so funny! I just posted a potato chowder recipe this weekend! I LOVE clam chowder! I am soooo bookmarking this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GREAT MINDS! I actually wrote this yesterday, but was too busy to do all the work for the photos. My husband HATES soup, but will eat chowder, so it was the only option for this cold weather!

      Delete
  2. I love your festive picture of your soup!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We are in the mood for Halloween here. My son is infatuated with scarecrows which he thinks means Halloween so we have pumpkins and such for fun!

      Delete
  3. this is a useful recipe for me, my husband loves clam chowder! We never fail to eat this when we go to Pier 39 in San Francisco..thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I hope you enjoy it as we did. Some recipes call for all heavy cream, but I Thought that might be rich. However, it might be more "authentic"

      Delete
  4. Yum this sounds delicious, i've never tried to make it myself before, but now I really wan to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is super easy! You can also use fresh little neck clams in lieu of canned, but it's hard to find them here since I am not near a water supply.

      Delete
  5. I love chowders! Potato, corn, clam.... they are so warm and filling in the winter months. Thanks for sharing your recipe, will have to put it in my must try file.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sherryl! I threw together a corn chowder last week with jars of veggies and it was so good! The kids are surprising me by eating veggie based soups this year!

      Delete
  6. I love chowder, but haven't been able to find many recipes I truly like! This one sounds great, and I cannot wait to try it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband HATES my cooking mostly. He has a critical comment about every thing I cook. THIS he ate 3 nights in a row and said it was "so good" we would have to make it again. Please note, he isn't one of these gracious men that would make something up to make me feel good. No, he would say he hated it so I don't make him eat it again :D I thought it was quite tasty, but I am not a chowder expert!

      Delete
  7. For some reason, I am always intimidated with making chowders. Maybe it's the complex name. I have made plenty of soups in my day. This recipe sounds easy and delicious!

    Thank you for stopping by All Natural Katie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT's so easy it almost seemed silly calling it a recipe, but it's really delicious! I am a soup fiend. We ate tomato and homemade veggie a LOT growing up, and I still love soups

      Delete
  8. I'm not a fan of clam's, but I'm sure a lot of people love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister won't eat fish or shell fish either. We always fix her a steak or chicken if it's seafood night when she's here :D We have food allergies, fortunately not to fish

      Delete
  9. I am usually the type of person that can smell foods, or read the recipe's and tell if they are any good, this sounds good...I am afraid to eat clams though...but I can still taste it in my mind, if that makes since? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it! I used to sit and read recipes as a teen and know which ones would taste great and which ones just weren't for me. Clams are unique. Either you like them or not. The texture can be chewy, but Little Neck Clams are usually pretty darned good, especially on a grill with clarified butter

      Delete
  10. I have been craving clam chowder with the weather turning cooler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd invite you over for left overs, but they ate them all up! Maybe for the next batch.....

      Delete
  11. Betsy Rubendall Barnes
    pinktaz60@hotmail.com

    This looks so good! I am going to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! My favorite kind of chowder ever!
    Jenna Parsons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like clams, but usually straight off the grill, this was pretty darned good though!

      Delete
  13. Never ate a clam in my life! But I would try the soup!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!! Leave me some love with your url and I will return the favor on a random post at your blog!