Sunday, December 9, 2012

Easy Homemade Cottage/Ricotta Cheese

We live about 30 minutes from the nearest town.  So, of course we shop once a month other than certain items, and I often have to figure out how to make do without something because I just don't want to drive that far or waste that much gas to pick up one item.  Greek Yogurt is an item I can purchase at the store (or make my own as I mostly do) and it usually has an expiration date a month later.  If I know I am going to have a busy month like, say, December (so busy I can't see straight) I purchase 6-8 quarts on shopping day because it will last all month and I use it in most of my bread recipes.

Out of sheer need, I learned how to make my own cottage/ricotta cheese out of Greek yogurt a little over a year ago, and I would like to share my knowledge with you.  First of all, I want to explain that I am not an expert cheese maker, so go ahead and argue with me the difference between Cottage and Ricotta cheese.  Honestly, I don't really care the difference, and neither do my recipes that call for one or the other.  If I were eating it for a meal, I may would want something exact, but this stuff is so very close, I promise you that you won't taste the difference in your Lasagna or even your Ravioli!

Items you will need 

Double boiler or two stockpots, one larger than the other
1 quart of yogurt (click here for recipe)
Rubber spatula
Thermometer-optional but advised
patience

Fill the bigger pan with water, but make sure it isn't touching the bottom of the smaller pan when you sit it on top.


Photobucket


Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium low

Add Yogurt, and heat, stirring very frequently for about 20-30 minutes until you have achieved thin small curds.  It will be a bit runny even when done, but it will be a thick runny that thickens right up after about 10 minutes in the Fridge.


Photobucket

You can enjoy as is, salt it, season it, or use it in recipes!  Next time you need some cheese for a recipe, grab that leftover yogurt and make some!


Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. Thats a lot easier than I would have thought! Im sure it tastest a lot better too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so. You can also make it out of whole milk and an acid like lemon juice or vinegar to literally bring out the curds. The yogurt kind has a tang that's nice

      Delete
  2. That looks so yummy and easier than I would have thought to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So resourceful, and yeah - not much different, really between the two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially when cooking or baking with it. I think Ricotta can be a bit drier, but honestly homemade cottage cheese is dry until you add the heavy cream and salt for flavoring!

      Delete
  4. oh wow I didn't know you could make that - thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never fails when you want to make something you are missing an ingredient. Most milk products can either be substituted or made at home. I am lucky that I can also get some local dairy milk in a pinch to really make homemade the original way

      Delete
  5. When you are making with your homemade yogart, do you use the glass jar in the double boiler or would you transfer to a plastic container be for putting it in the water?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!! Leave me some love with your url and I will return the favor on a random post at your blog!