Sunday, December 9, 2012

Easy Homemade Pasta

I think I was 30 years old before I realized that not all pasta comes in a box, is hard, and includes preservatives.  What's more, now that I know how incredibly easy homemade pasta is, and that my 3 year old can do it, I feel quite silly for having put all those preservatives and extra ingredients in my children's bodies for all those years.

I am here to start a movement called "Just say no to the box." Let's Boycott, let's start a petition, or better yet, let's just make our own pasta.  It's not only so easy you'll want to smack yourself, you can pronounce every ingredient and you can even remember the recipe without writing it down!  Don't believe me?  Here we go!

Homemade Pasta

4 Cups of unbleached all purpose flour (half the recipe if you have a smaller family)
2 tsp salt
6 free range eggs

Pile your flour on a cutting board or clean surface and make a well in the center making sure you have a thick wall of flour on every side

Crack the eggs in the center of the flour

Photobucket

Using a fork, scramble the eggs, gradually grabbing flour from each side until the dough is still very wet, but too thick to stir with a fork.

Now, gradually knead in the rest of the flour until a ball has formed and it isn't sticky.

 NOTE:  Weather, humidity, rain and other things you can't control effects both bread making and candy making so how much flour you need may change each time you make this dough.  You may not need to use all the flour. If a solid dough ball forms and isn't sticky, but you have left over flour, no worries, just toss it.  If you use all the flour and the dough is sticking to the surface, add a little more flour.

Once the dough is the right consistency, knead it an additional 10-15 minutes until it is smooth.

Photobucket

Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap to keep it from drying out, and let it rest at room temperature for at least 2 hours before trying to roll it out.  This is very important to allow the gluten to rest or your dough will be springy and refuse to roll out. It will be as useful as brushing your teeth while eating an oreo cookie!

Divide your dough into four pieces because working with smaller pieces is easier.  Roll the dough out until it's about 1/8 inch thickness. If you have a pasta machine, you are a lucky dog and you can just run it through the machine about 3-4 times and viola-pasta.  The rest of us have to bring the gun show to the party and just roll that dough with your muscles and a rolling pin until it is the right thickness

Photobucket

Now decide your shape.  Medium strips for fettuccine thick strips for lasagna, or 4 inch strips for ravioli.  Bon App├ętit !


13 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to try making my own pasta but thought it was a lot more complicated. I'm going to give this a try. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT's a bit of work and time without a machine, but definitely not hard at all

      Delete
  2. Sounds easy-somewhat-I wish I could still eat pasta-it is one of the things I miss most since developing type 2 diabetes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet! My mother in law eats some, but it's always the gluten free pasta, and I have no idea how to make that!

      Delete
  3. I have never attempted to make homemade pasta. Yours looks fairly easy, but time consuming. But then again you like to cook and I don't!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is definitely time consuming, and I like to bake, but this tastes so much better than store bought it's worth it. Not for every night, but the ones I have the time. Will be different when I have my Kitchen Aid after Christmas. Then it will be a cinch!

      Delete
  4. That looks delicious and not to hard to do! Thanks for telling us about this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just takes muscles. Let the kids knead :D They love to, and it's less work.

      Delete
  5. We love dried and fresh pasta, but I've never tried making it. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would like this Krystle. I baked my ravioli so it was more like an appetizer you can hold and eat (a 3 year old that doesn't like to eat loves finger foods) but it's so much better boiled!

      Delete
  6. I have always said I was going to make my own pasta...if only I found the ambition to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Tell you what, if you have kids, the next time they are driving you batty, it's a good time to get them busy making their own pasta! Who cares what it looks like, it will be edible, and they will be proud! You can even let them cut it out with cookie cutters!

      Delete
  7. YUM! I've never made home-made pasta before. Definitely something I'd love to try though :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!! Leave me some love with your url and I will return the favor on a random post at your blog!