Monday, January 21, 2013

A Valuable Lesson for People of All Ages!


Happiness is an elusive pursuit of people of all ages, or at least it seems to be to me.  People think if they make more money, buy more things, get something bigger and better, etc that they will finally achieve happiness.

Photobucket
Mika recently received a book, Hugo The Happy Starfish The Secret To Happiness,  which addresses this issue in the story.  Hugo is forever unhappy, so he follows the suggestions of others in his pursuit of happiness.   However, he discovers time after time that each time he tries something new to gain happiness, the feeling eventually fades, and he is back to feeling glum again.

Photobucket
Hugo eventually realizes that the true secret to happiness is doing for others.  When he develops the attitude empathy and continues to do for others, he is no longer focused on how miserable and unhappy he is!  Suddenly he feels happy and wants to do more and more for others.

Photobucket

It was a little ironic that my oldest son who is forever sad and "doesn't know why" was listening in sleeping beside us on the couch as I read this to my youngest son, but I know he heard the message of the story which I hope he takes with him through life.

Bottom line is this book and the rest of the series helps with educating children about character, their feelings, and how to treat others!  You can find this book and other great works at My Starfish.  We have really enjoyed this book multiple times already, so I can't wait to try out the other ones!

Do you agree that helping others is the secret to happiness?  If so, what are some ways you help others?
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

15 comments:

  1. That lesson is such a good one and so very true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that helping others is the one of a few secret to happiness. Hugo The Happy Starfish The Secret To Happiness sounds like a wonderful book =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a cute way to hammer in a great lesson

      Delete
  3. This looks like an adorable way to teach life lessons. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, thanks for stopping in!

      Delete
  4. thanks for your review - this looks so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! Thought you would be interested in a giveaway I'm hosting for BluApple :)

    P.S. I'm a new GFC follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the themes for these books. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! I agreed to review it when I realized it would be a great lesson for my sometimes moody teen!

      Delete
  7. This sounds like a wonderful book. I love the lesson it teaches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great lesson! My kids would love that book!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!! Leave me some love with your url and I will return the favor on a random post at your blog!