Thursday, January 10, 2013

Almost Steak House Rolls-Best Buttery Potato Rolls you'll ever eat!

Over the past year I have shared a few roll recipes with you that I am absolutely in love with:  Chef Lynne Miller's Potato Bread (I made rolls), my quicker potato rolls, and .  While I love each recipe, I have recently landed on what Chef Guy Fieri calls a "Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!"  I have combined the best attributes of several recipes to create the best "steak house" rolls.  My husband who doesn't like much of anything that I cook told me "This is it, baby, don't look any further!"  That is an official seal of approval in our home, so I thought I would share my recipe with you.  I guess since I played with the formulation of a bunch of recipes I can claim the recipe as mine, but either way, it's super yummy!


Photobucket

Buttery Potato Bread/Rolls

1 largeWisconsin Potato
1 cupWhole Organic Milk
1/2 cupSugar
1 LargeFree Range Egg
3 3/4 cupsFlour
1 TspSalt
1/3 cupOrganic Butter (NOT margarine)
1/4 cupclarified organic butter
2 tbsinstant yeast (or two packs of Fleishman\'s yeast)

Steps

  1. Combine the Flour, Sugar, Salt, and Yeast in a bowl, whisking to mix. (note, if using regular yeast, bloom it according to the package instructions and add it with the wet ingredients later in the recipe)
  2. Heat the milk til Hot, not boiling about 115-120 degrees (too hot will kill the yeast, too low will take longer to rise)
  3. Melt the butter and mix in with the milk
  4. Whisk the egg to combine the yolk and white
  5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, mix and make a ball
  6. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead the dough for about 10-15 minutes until the dough is smooth and shiny
  7. Place the dough in an oiled bowl, oil the top and place plastic wrap directly on top of the dough to prevent drying and place in a warm place to rise for about an hour
  8. When dough has doubled in size, punch it down and shape into 12 equal balls.
  9. Place on a baking sheet covered in a Silpat or sprayed with cooking spray, cover, and place in warm place to rise for about an hour
  10. Brush the clarified butter over the tops of each roll and bake at 375 until golden brown, (my oven takes 15 minutes). Immediately brush each roll with the rest of the clarified butter and serve with homemade jam or apple butter!

20 comments:

  1. looks yummy! I like how they are homemade and not processed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I prefer to make wheat bread with less butter (usually I substitute coconut oil in for butter) but DH really loves a yummy yeast roll, and sometimes the real deal is in order!

      Delete
  2. these look so yummy! thanks for sharing this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. They were such a hit here, I thought others might like. I make this in a bread machine sometimes too...

      Delete
  3. I love fresh, warm buttery rolls! I would love to have those before a meal! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are addictive. I use them now in place of hamburger rolls when we do burgers!

      Delete
  4. Oh my! Those look amazing! And i Love that they are homemade. Those are always the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We made them when both sets of parents were here, and my diabetic mother in law even ate one and she rarely cheats on her carbs

      Delete
  5. These look so good. I wonder if a sweet potato could replace the white potato...I might have to play with it a bit and see what happens. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it would! People make sweet potato biscuits, and sweet potato would add a lot of nutrition

      Delete
  6. Those do look delicious! I am a big fan of rolls and potatoes always make them so moist and delicious. I am going to pin this one to use the next time we have soup. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We almost always have a roll or garlic bread for dinner. This sounds like a delicious way to mix it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, and if you have a kitchen aid or bread machine, it really just takes about 15 minutes to really do the prep work

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh, Allyson! I want, I want, I want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol you may have...just have to get nearby sometime....

      Delete
  9. Those look great! We're going to have to try those this weekend! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing healthy about them, Tara, but they are so good! They are almost as good if you substitute some wheat flour for some of the white flour and use coconut oil. Almost

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. They are potatoes from Wisconsin! I am sure an Idaho or other potato would work fine, but I prefer Wisconsin potatoes! I am completely unaffiliated with this website, but it explains further. http://wisconsinpotatoes.com/

      Delete

I love comments!!! Leave me some love with your url and I will return the favor on a random post at your blog!