Saturday, January 12, 2013

Have a Cold or the Flu? Bubbie's Soup Recipe To the Rescue!

Alright, I admit it.  I am not Jewish, I'm Irish, and I don't have a Bubbie.  However, I recently had a case of the flu that made me wish for the Bubbie I never had.  On top of having the flu which turned into a nasty case of Bronchitis/sinus infection which seems to always happen since I was diagnosed with asthma at the age of 26, I had two sets of company back to back right at the Holiday time.  Did I mention I had to travel 12 hours in a span of 3 days on top of it all?  With four kids?

All I wanted to do was go to bed, and instead I was up until past midnight every night and up again at 5 am.  To top it off, Dear husband (DH) worked 36 hours between Christmas eve and the night after Christmas.  It was torture, I tell you.

I had exactly one day after my side of the family left to clean my house, so I did what any good Irish girl would do:  I googled a recipe for the much talked about "penicillin" soup made my Jewish Grandmothers.

Here's my disclaimer:  I am positive mine isn't like your grandmothers; heck, who does make food just like Grandma used to?  Also, I couldn't find all the right products at my local food coop (I am a huge supporter of local products and companies), but I only had to substitute one product.

Photobucket

So, if you have a better, more authentic recipe, I will welcome it!  Also, don't tell your Bubbie about my attempt at re-creating her soup, unless you are sending her over to my house to make it right and bring some Kugel!  Otherwise, I am claiming I was delirious with fever upon writing this!!

My soup looked absolutely nothing like the soup pictured in all the recipes I looked up, probably because I pay absolutely no attention to amounts when I tinker in the kitchen, but it was so good!  Honestly, I don't know if it was the ingredients, or if it was just that nourishing, but it is going to be my go to food to cook when someone is sick from now on.

Did it heal me immediately? No.  However, it did strengthen me, and I am convinced that all the vitamins in Bubbie's Soup helped promote healing in my body.  So whether you are sick, or not, this is just a yummy recipe to have on hand!

Photobucket

My version of Bubbie's Chicken Soup

2 parsnips
2 bunches of carrots
1 large or 2 medium onions
2 large sweet potatoes
1 head of celery (I used the whole thing, just cutting off the root)
Anise greens (WHAT is this???), but I used a Fennel Bulb
6 large clothes of garlic, peeled and whole
Salt and pepper
6 chicken thighs, bone and skin on.  (I presume any part of the chicken would work fine here)
2 packages of Potstickers (I have no idea how to make Matza balls, and I wasn't in the mood to learn while sick)
LARGE Stock pot, or half the recipe!

STEPS

Bring 20 quarts of water and chicken thighs to boil.

Meanwhile peel and chop all the veggies into the same shape/size.  I cubed mine into one inch cubes, but whatever works for you is fine.

Add in all the veggies, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to simmer.

Cook for about 2 hours, or until broth has reduced to the consistency you like (some people like lots of broth while I prefer a "stoup")

Add in Potstickers and cook for 5-7 minutes, and enjoy!

So tell me, what are your go to tricks for feeling better when you are sick?  Do you have a special food, family recipe?  Feel free to share with us!




14 comments:

  1. sounds great! All natural and warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I froze for DAYS, and I remember finally feeling a little warm inside. I really think it's the vitamins that help some too since the veggies are so good for you, but I loved it

      Delete
  2. Well, I now have chest congestion, aches and the sneezes--wish my Mom was around to make some "Jewish penicillin" however she is in Florida at the moment and I am too tired to make it--maybe I can go to a local Kosher market and buy some!! Yours does sound tempting---just too sick to attempt it right now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine probably doesn't begin to touch your grandmothers! No matter how good of a cook I am, nothing ever tastes as good as when MY grandmother cooked it! She has been gone for years now, and I wish she could cook for me again too! Good luck with the Kosher Market, I never thought of looking for one of those to buy some at. That would have been much simpler (probably cheaper) when I was sick

      Delete
  3. Nothing better than chicken soup when you don't feel well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks yummy! I have no idea what Anise greens are either. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I think the Fennel was so beautiful that it was the right choice that day!

      Delete
  5. This sounds great a fairly simple to make! I'm always looking for a good soup recipe to try, definitely bookmarking this one! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Trisha! I think it's an easy crock pot kinda recipe for cold days. I am almost positive you could substitute whatever veggies you have laying around in this.

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh! Sounds like an absolutely horrible few weeks! I do NOT do as well as you do when I'm sick and I couldn't have done all that you did! You're a supermom!!
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tiffany. I really really really wanted the first set of company not to come. I even recommended it for their own "health" and so I could rest, but they seemed to think they could be of help :) Then my moody almost 14 year old whined for three days about how I didn't plan anything FUN, it was a riot, I tell you! I slept for 2 days when everyone was gone :D

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I'm sure that people who don't like chicken or don't eat meat could substitute a good vegetable broth or add in seasonings with the veggies!

      Delete

I love comments!!! Leave me some love with your url and I will return the favor on a random post at your blog!